STAND BY ME - chapter 25

Today made it four years since Itachi was gone. I was no longer disappointed. I had come to terms with the fact that he was working, doing his job as an Uchiha shinobi, and I wouldn't get in the way of that.

"You're graduating from the academy next week, Hanabi!" I exclaimed, my younger sister - who was no longer a little baby, finally completed one of the greatest stepping stones for a shinobi.

"Uh-huh! I'm graduating a year early!" She jumped in excitement. I ruffled her hair and pulled her into a hug.
"I'm so proud of you. Muah!" I gave her a kiss on the cheek.
"Will you, mother and father be there at the ceremony?" She innocently asked.
"Of course. Hinata might not come though, because she's on a mission, but she's so proud of you, you know that?"
"Yes!"

---

I felt restless in bed at the moment, tossing and turning, hoping to just fall asleep. Why can't I fall asleep? Something's just not right. I was feeling something strange.

I pushed my blanket aside, and went to the washroom to splash my face with some cold water. There was just no way I could fall asleep tonight. Not with that chakra signature lurking around.

Could it be...

I shuffled across my room towards my window, fastened it open, and there he was. The man who I've been waiting for all this time. My mouth agape, I felt like I couldn't breath. I was suffocating - no, panicking.

I spent so much of my time thinking of what I'd say to Itachi, how I'd react to his return, and now that he was back, I stood motionless. My throat was clenched. I couldn't squeeze out one word. All I could hear was my heart beat, which was pounding outside of my chest. My hands were gripping so hard onto the edge of the metal windowsill - I was sure I caused a dent. He was meters below me, his daring eyes just staring into my soul.

"Itachi?" I managed to say, but my voice was quivering, and my eyes were wide. I felt my body slowly sink back into my bedroom, backing away from the sight of Itachi Uchiha, backing away from my open window. I wanted to see him, oh, so badly. But for some reason, part of me also felt afraid.

With a few graceful movements, Itachi sat on the edge of my windowsill. The very spot where I had sat two years ago and painfully wished him a happy birthday.

Four years had past, and Itachi only looked more of a man now. His features were more finer, more rugged. I didn't miss the way his eyes had swiftly scanned my body, because now I was more of a woman - shaped with curves that delicately ran across my body. Itachi's sharingan was practically glowing in the dark, and it only intimidated me more, but I was careful to not let that show.

"I've waited for you for so long," I worked up the confidence to say, with clenched fists, hopelessly sitting on the edge of my bed, "And now, four years later, you're right in front of me. This is surreal."
Moments of silence had passed by, our eyes were taking in each others' presence.

"I'm finally back." His deep, husky voice echoed throughout my room. That voice that I had so longed to hear.

"I can't believe it." My breath was shaky. "You're back, Itachi." I met his eyes, and his crimson orbs faded back into his charcoal ones. The act made me feel less nervous.

"You... you left me." I said, hostility lingered in my tone. My fists were curled up into the bedsheets. I fought and prayed to resist my tears, but it was useless. I sobbed.

Itachi's lips were pressed shut, he remained quiet. He decided that it was time for Aya to let everything off of her chest, everything that she had kept quiet about for these past four years.