Chapter 1

"When we first met, I had no idea how important you would be to me."

Rose's POV:

I had just finished getting dressed for the day, the light blue dress I was wearing flowing down to the floor, the white laced trim outlining the edges. I looked in the mirror, finishing up the makeup I had put on before slipping my tiara onto my head, releasing a sigh.

My name is Rosalie Winters, or as the people call me, Princess Rose. I'm 17, almost 18 years old, have light skin, strawberry blonde hair and bright blue eyes. And I am...the Princess of Dragmere.

Exiting my room, I head down the corridor to the spiral staircase, carefully walking down the stairs, focusing on each step I take so that I don't trip and fall down...again. I'm not the graceful, perfect princess that everyone expected me to be, in fact, I'm quite the opposite. I'm probably the most clumsiest person you'll ever meet in your life.

Successfully making it down the stairs, I breathe relieved and slip on the white flats that were waiting for me at the bottom of the stairs. Father doesn't want me to wear any type of shoes when I walk down the stairs, he says that it will make the chances of me falling more likely. I agreed with him, so we've arranged it to where I would put on my shoes when I made it down the stairs.

"Rosalie! It's wonderful for you to join us, dear." my mother, Queen Anna, says with a bright smile, her dark blue eyes shining at me. I returned her smile, nodding my head to her before walking over to her and giving her a hug. My mother and I didn't look anything alike, really. She had brunette hair and dark blue eyes, and my father was different too. He had black hair and green eyes. So where I got my strawberry blonde hair and bright blue eyes? That's a story for another day, a memory I've hidden away for a long time now.

"Good morning, Mother." I say respectfully and she hugs me back, smiling down at me. "What are your plans today, Princess?" she asks me and I flash her a smile.

"I plan on visiting the forest again today." I tell her cheerfully and her smile disappears. "There's something I must warn you of, my dear." she whispers, taking my hand and leading me away from the entrance, going through doors until we reached the sanctuary.

"What is it, Mother?" I ask worriedly, not sure why she was reacting like this. I always went to the forest, and they've always been perfectly fine with that...so why is she worried now?

"Some of our guards have noticed a certain dark aura coming from that forest lately. I can't say it's the same anymore. It may not be safe for you." she says and confusion flits onto my face. Dark aura? Like the creatures of the dark? I don't dare speak my mind on the matter though, it would only worry her more.

"Mother, I'll be just fine. I promise. If anything seems amiss, I will leave immediately." I reassure her, patting her hands and she sighs. "Take a guard with you then, it'll help my mind be more at ease if I'm sending my only daughter out there." she says and I nod my head. Both of us walk out of the sanctuary in silence, not saying a word as our minds were thinking of different things.

I visited the forest yesterday, and there wasn't any darkness there. So did it appear overnight? And if so, what could cause this? If it really is a creature of the dark, I won't be safe. But no one has seen one of them in over 100 years, so it's highly unlikely.

I snapped out of my thoughts when I stumbled into a man, knocking him over as we both went crashing to the floor. Both of us landed with a groan and my eyes widened, placing my hands on the ground and holding myself up, looking down at the poor man I just knocked over.

"I'm so sorry! I didn't see you there!" I apologize, standing up quickly and offering a hand to the man. He begins to laugh and turns around to face me, my expression falling as I saw who it was. Oh, it's him. "Well, I can't say that I didn't like being knocked over by you, Princess." Luke says with a wink, taking my still outstretched hand before I could retract it.