Chapter 21

"The pain never truly goes away. It's always lurking in the background, waiting for it's opportunity to consume my everything, until I feel nothing but agony."

Rose's POV:

Harry and I had made out a small plan, one that we were hoping would either draw out the thief or make our presence known to the person. Either way, they were going to know that we were here, and that we meant business. We were going to go to the small field located between the Northern region and the Western region of Dragmere. It was right by the forest, so if need be, we could go into it for cover.

Then, once we were there, we were going to practically call the person out and see what would happen. Plus, walking through town without my tiara on my head is already basically screaming out that something was amiss. People would be talking about it, so I knew that the news would travel fast. That's just how much the people in Dragmere pay attention to me. It can be quite annoying sometimes.

So we were just going to walk out in the open, calling out the thief to come forward in a way. Such a great idea, right?? Well it's really not, but this was my idea, and I liked it much better than Harry's idea...which involved beating up every single person in the palace...and then some other things...

So we went with my plan. Not the best but oh well, right?

As of now, I was in a purple top and my black mini-skirt, going down the stairs with Harry and slipping out the front doors. Harry had told me to put on these clothes because we would most likely be running a lot and I needed to be able to move quickly. Those other dresses were 'too confining' as he states, and I agree with him on that. If I would be running, those long dresses that I normally wear would not do me any good.

We walked out the front doors without getting caught, thankful that we weren't. If I were to be stopped by my mother or father, them seeing me in these clothes plus not having my tiara, they'd know something wasn't right. So we had to be as sneaky about getting out of the palace as possible, which we successfully were.

We walk through the town quickly, ignoring the shocked looks we got from people on the streets and headed off towards the field. No one has seen me without my tiara, so it must've been a big shock to them. More than that, no one has seen me dressed like this either.

We chose the field because no one goes out there normally, it was wide open space, but it was also by the forest. So there's another reason that the thief could come out to us. Because if he is a creature of the dark, he could be in the forest now, since Harry's mentioned how dark the forest had become, that means that they could have entered the forest.

After about a ten minute walk, we finally get to the beginning of the field and I take a deep breath, scanning the open and empty field before walking boldly onto the field with Harry by my side, already tensed up and on edge. Something didn't feel right about the way everything was so quiet on the field, a faint wind the only sound heard over Harry and I's heartbeats.

When we reached the middle of the field we stopped, looking around us as we saw the forest to our right, and the palace far off to our left. It was too quiet and the wind was whispering around me eerily.

The wind was blowing softly, making my hair blow behind me. The wind was slowly beginning to pick up and an uneasy feeling settled in my stomach as Harry turned to me with a doubtful look. Something isn't right.

"Rose, I don't know if this is going to work, it's likely that they won't show themselves." Harry tells me and I sigh, looking down. "I know it probably wouldn't work, but I didn't want everyone in the palace being interrogated and harmed by you." I say and he chuckles at me.

"I'm not a violent person, Princess, I'm hurt by your accusation." He teases me and I giggle. A sudden gust of wind blew violently from the forest, nearly knocking me over because of how much force it had. I held on to Harry for support as we slowly turned towards the wind, watching as the forest was shaking violently.

"I never thought I'd see the day..." A voice rang out, my eyes widening as I recognized it. No. Oh please no. Why, why does it have to be...him?? My face paled and I felt myself shaking as laughter rang out in the field, the wind swirling around in the air as Harry and I turned our heads in every direction, trying to catch a glimpse of this man. 

I let out a gasp as wind rushed in from behind us, blowing forward before a small tornado appeared in front of us, rotating around quickly. When it disappeared, someone was standing before us, a smirk plastered on their face as they saw me.

"I never thought I'd see the day where I had to see your hideous face again." He sneers at me and I took a step back in panic, knowing just who this man is. "No, no this can't be happening." I whisper, pain and memories flashing through my mind as the man's grey eyes light up with delight at my fear.

"Rose, who is this man?" Harry asks me curiously and nervously as I continued to step back, watching as the man's lips curled up into a sick smile.

"You can't be here. It's not possible." I say and he laughs at me, his grey eyes gleaming with hatred as he stared at me. As soon as he took a step towards me, Harry was in front of me, his arms protectively sticking out so that I was blocked from this person's view.

"Aww, you found yourself someone to protect you. How cute." he teases me, chuckling as he held out his hand, wind swirling around before a whip appeared in it. My eyes bulged at the sight of it and he laughed, obviously knowing what he was doing to me.

"You recognize this, don't you Princess?" he growls at me, lashing the whip out by his side as my body trembled in fear. The crack of the whip made an echo in my mind, one that I had never forgotten, but pushed aside. Now it was echoing through my mind, making me quiver. "Rose, who is this?" Harry asks me but I'm too stunned to answer him. But to my dismay, he speaks up for my lack of words.

"Oh? You don't know me? What a shame. I'll enlighten you then, protector. But I don't think you'll be wanting to protect her after you find out." he says and tears prick my eyes. He smiled dangerously at me, chuckling as he glances from me to Harry.

"I'm her brother."

Shocker, huh? I know this chapter was really short, but there is definitely a reason for that. In the next chapter, you will learn about Rose's past finally, and you'll finally have some light shed on her situation and hopefully it'll clear things up. So stay tuned!! :D