Chapter 23

"The worst kind of pain is when you're smiling just to keep the tears from falling..."

Harry's POV:

I couldn't believe what I just heard come out of Rose's mouth. She was really a demon? She had demon blood flowing through her veins and I didn't even realize it? I stared at her, watching how she was trying to keep herself from crying by glaring at this person named Seth.

Seth, is obviously her brother, and has done something terrible to her in her past. And because of that, Rose has been scarred not only physically, but mentally as well.

"I'm sorry I never told you Harry. I can understand if you hate me now and don't want to protect me anymore." She says, her body trembling in fear from both her brother and from my rejection.

But she has it all wrong. I could never reject her. Not now. She's different from the rest of them and I have to protect her. I can't let someone else I care about slip through my fingers. Not again.

"I understand why you didn't tell me, it's okay. I'm still going to protect you Rose. I'm not leaving you." I say, pain in my chest as I spoke.

I felt for Rose, I really did. She doesn't have the great life that everyone thinks she does, in fact it's quite the opposite. She was living a hell of a life, but no matter what, she was still smiling.

Rose gave me a grateful look, a relieved smile coming to her face. "Thank you, Harry." She whispers and I return her smile.

"How sweet, you actually care for that worthless girl. You're wasting your time with her, vampire. I'd leave her alone. She's not worth anything." Seth sneers and I see Rose's eyes mist up.

Anger flows through me and I turn to this man, a hatred going through me that I hadn't felt in a long time.

"She's worth more than you ever will be." I growl, stepping in front of Rose protectively as I glared at Seth. He was getting on my last nerve, and I did indeed feel like I needed to protect Rose, she was someone important to me.

Seth just begins to laugh, throwing his head back and clutching his stomach as he laughs. "You think...you think she is WORTH something?" he laughs, pointing at Rose with an accusing finger and I narrow my eyes.

"Why wouldn't she be worth something?" I hiss, my irritation growing with every second I have to spend with this guy.

"She's obviously going to have some explaining to do, but I'll let you two do that in private. Wouldn't want to spoil that surprise for you." He teases and I see Rose trembling in anger, fear and sadness.

It kills me to see Rose like this, I don't like seeing her sad. I like the happy, cheerful Rose that is always smiling and laughing, not the one who is trying her hardest to break down and cry.

"You mean you're letting us live?" Rose whispers, confusion clear on her face as I see Seth's lips turn up into a devilish smirk. "Trust me, I wouldn't be letting you live if I didn't have my orders. But since I do, I have to let you go with a warning." he says, letting out a disappointed sigh.

"What warning?" I snap and he chuckles. "Well, you have a short temper don't you?" he teases me, and that makes my anger fuel up even more. He doesn't even know what a short temper I have.

Seth turns to Rose, a smirk on his face as he crosses his arms across his chest. "I'm here to tell you that we are back. And it's not just me, Rose. It's all of us. We're back for good, and we are going to make your life a hell that you won't even begin to imagine. It's all because you lived." he says and I see Rose shaking beside me.

"Oh, you might want this back, Princess." he sneers, holding his hand out and air swirled around it before her crown appeared in his hand, making her gasp. "You...you stole it?" she asks horrified and Seth laughs.