Chapter 4

"Those who fear the darkness, have no idea what the light can do."

Rose's POV:

I stared at him in complete and utter shock. I should've been overwhelmed with fear, but I was just stunned. I had never expected him to be a vampire, anything but that. He's a creature of the dark, he should belong in the darkness, but yet he's here in the light, and he felt...pain.

"I thought vampires couldn't feel pain?" I ask him and he laughs, throwing his head back and laughing at my question. He shakes his head, still chuckling at me before he looks at me again, his green eyes back instead of his red ones.

"Everyone can feel pain, Princess. Just because I'm a vampire, doesn't mean I can't feel anything." He says and I gulp nervously. Mother has told me differently...I'm so confused now. Should I stay here and listen to him or should I try to run away?

"What are you going to do with me now?" I whisper and he smiles. "Do you honestly think I'm going to hurt you?" He asks me and I hesitate, looking around the room to avoid his gaze. I had heard of what vampires do to humans, and they weren't the nicest of things.

"Sorry to disappoint you, sweetheart, but I don't hurt people." He says seriously, making me look back at him. His eyes were slightly narrowed and his lips were pressed in a thin line, almost like he was angry that I thought that. He shouldn't be angry that I would assume that, given that he's a creature of the dark and that I'm...well...here.

"Sorry...I thought all vampires hurt us." I whisper and he shakes his head. "No, not at all. I'm different." He says with a slight smile and I nod my head, still confused and nervous on what he was meaning by all of this.

"Though...I still have my needs." He says lowly, staring at my neck hungrily. I gulp, edging back in my seat as much as I could...which wasn't very far. My luck is just so perfect, isn't it? I'm stuck in a room with a hungry vampire...

Lovely.

"Don't bite me." I whisper and he chuckles, shaking his head. "I don't bite without permission." He says winking and I blush at his comment. He continues to stare at me until a smile breaks onto his face. I could see his eyes light up with thought and I couldn't help but feel curious to what he was thinking about. He changes mood really quickly...and he's extremely happy for a creature of the dark. Odd.

"That's it." He murmurs and I give him a confused look. "I saw the reaction this pendant had to your touch, which doesn't happen for anyone." He says, holding out the pendant by his side. I slowly nodded my head to him, not sure what else to say or do.

"I want you to wear it." He says and I give him a bewildered look. "You what?" I ask and he nods. "Wear it." He says and places the pendant in my hand, looking at me expectantly. I blink at him shocked and confused, not knowing why he would just give me something of such obvious importance out of nowhere. Besides that, I'm not like him...why would he trust someone completely different AND a total stranger?

When I hesitate, he narrows his eyes slightly and huffs, pouting at me, but that alone scares me enough to bring the cool metal chain around my head and letting it fall on my neckline, fitting perfectly. It wasn't terribly big, probably the size of my palm. "Just as I thought." He murmurs to himself before smiling at me.

"Good. Now you keep it. Don't let anyone else take that from you, got it? It's a special pendant." He instructs and I find myself nodding, even though I had no idea why. I shouldn't be agreeing with him, I should be questioning him and even fearing him. There's something wrong with him. He's too happy to be a creature of the dark...this isn't really normal.

"Wait, why are you giving me this? What are you planning on doing? And what happened in the forest?" I quiz him and he chuckles.

"You sure are the curious one. I'm giving it to you because...well you don't need to know. I'm not planning on doing anything yet, I'm going to act out the role of an innocent human, while you play along with me. And it was an accident in the forest, nothing major." He says and I frown.

"That doesn't really answer anything." I tell him and he laughs at me, shaking his head. "That's the point." He says teasingly and I groan. For a vampire, he's really not that threatening...in fact he's quite the opposite. It's really surprising actually.

"Why do you want to stay here? It makes no sense for you to! If you really are a creature of the dark, staying here is dangerous and you know it. So why risk it?" I ask him and a dark smile appears on his face.

"I was in that forest for a reason, and I got lucky enough to run into you. I think it was fate, honestly, because I'm never this lucky. Now, I have to have you help me in order for me to survive, but also, for your kingdom to survive." He says and my eyes widen.

"There's something evil in Dragmere, Princess. I'm sure you've noticed it. The way the forest is turning black, the way people are getting fearful. How everyone is starting to look over their shoulders everywhere they go. It's happening, and you need to be prepared to face it. In order for that to happen, I need your full co-operation with me. You will do as I say and we will get along just fine. Hold on to that pendant Princess, because it's become your lifeline." He says and comes to me, pressing the middle with his index finger.

It lights up at his touch like it did with me, but it was now glowing black instead of red. "You can contact me through this pendant. It has special properties that will strengthen you, all you have to do is press the jewel in the middle and I'll find you. So use it well and guard it with your life. If it falls into the wrong hands, we're all screwed. Understand?" He says and I nod my head, overwhelmed by all of this I was learning.

"What darkness is it, Harry?" I ask him and he shakes his head at me.

"That, my dear Princess, I cannot tell you. For that is something that you can't know right now." He says and I huff.

"So what exactly do I do to help you?" I ask him and he smiles at me. "You keep me in the palace, convince the Queen and King to keep me here somehow. If I'm inside, nothing can come of harm to this place and I can protect you as well if you would like." He says and I nod immediately. Protection sounds nice right about now.

This doesn't make any sense though. If Harry was wanting to find this darkness or whatever this was, why would he want to be inside the palace? Why does he even need to be here? Couldn't he do it from his own home? Why come to the kingdom of the light when he could easily be exposed and killed?

"And why do you need to be inside?" I ask and he chuckles. "This evil? This darkness, Princess? It's here, it's inside the castle." He says and my eyes widen, my hands coming up to cover my mouth. It can't be!! He gives me a serious stare as I look at him in shock and fear.

"No one is safe here."

Sorry for the really late update! If you couldn't tell, there is going to be a quote at the beginning of each chapter, so please pay attention to them. Also, I really want this book to start getting more attention, so I may not update as often so that it can get more reads and all that fun stuff. But please continue to Comment and Vote!! xx