Chapter 10

Sorry this chapter is late and thank you for the get well messages! I hope you'll enjoy Kennedy's POV and don't forget to check out the interview with him. You'll find the link to it in the first comment, as an External link to this chapter and on my Wattpad profile, in the About section.

 You'll find the link to it in the first comment, as an External link to this chapter and on my Wattpad profile, in the About section

Mud sprayed up from the ground each time my feet pounded onto it. My hot breath came out as a silver mist before me only to be dispersed a moment later when my body speared through it. My sneakers were soaked, but I kept moving. A wolf ran past me to my right, followed by another on my left.

Damon and Serenity.

I sped up after the two werewolves, the muscles in my arms and legs straining to catch up with their animal forms. Even as the fastest kid around, I could only keep up with them in my human form because the pair wasn't running to their fullest. If I were to shift now, they wouldn't stand a chance. I'd be at the front with them following several feet behind me.

I jumped over a fallen log covered with moss and rime and crouched as I landed with one hand against the cold ground to steady myself. I sprang right up, but I'd already lost a precious second and the siblings had put even more distance between us.

Apparently, they'd decided not to slow down for my sake after all.

I bolted after them, the frosty early morning air almost choking me with its coolness. I could now see the edge of the woods. Peter - the third triplet was waiting for his brother and sister, along with his mate Linda and their friends Ivan and Belle. A little further from them stood a stiff figure that I recognized as Horace Owens.

While Peter, Linda, Belle and Ivan were watching the wolves, Horace was watching me.

A stick cracked under my right foot; a sharp stone dug into the sole of the sneaker that was covering the left.

I did not stop.

Summoning all the strength I had left in me, I ignored the protests of my muscles and burning lungs and dashed as fast as I could. I arrived at the edge of the woods only a few seconds after Serenity and Damon had.

"No May and Jared?" I asked, trying to pretend that the mad race had not left me with trembling legs.

"Nope. My little sister and her mate decided to get lovey-dovey so they'll require some alone time," Belle said as she patted Serenity - still in her wolf form - on the head.

"You okay?" Peter asked me as he gave me the once over.

"Of course I'm okay." I waved at him, my heart pounding in my chest. My breathing had yet to achieve an even pace.

"You shouldn't strain yourself so much," Ivan insisted. "Especially when it's this cold. It's not good for your body."

"What? You call this straining myself?" I grinned at them to hide my discomfort. My muscles pulsed and my throat and even lungs hurt, but I was not going to let them know that. "I call this my warm up."