Chapter 35

Hey, kittens!

I'm sorry for almost two weeks of silence. Due to Wattpad's bugs I was unable to log in most of the time and when I did, I couldn't post anything or comment/answer messages.

Here's a new S&R chapter and I've already announced the winner of this month's giveaway in my CatMint5's GIVEAWAYS book. Another giveaway will be available in February.

I hope you'll enjoy this new chapter!

I ducked beneath the yellow tape and pushed the door with my gloved hand

I ducked beneath the yellow tape and pushed the door with my gloved hand. It opened with a screech - a sound the floorboards repeated as I stepped inside and flicked the light switch. The metallic stench assaulted me right away, growing sharper as I neared the bedroom, even with its door closed.

Of all the rooms it had to be that one.

Bedrooms were private, they were the refuge where you found peace and rest after a long day, the place supposed to make you feel safe. But this one...

This one was where it had happened.

The nightmare.

Only, I wish it had been a nightmare and that poor girl got to wake up from it instead of ending up in the morgue.

She'd been so young. My age, actually. It could've been me. It could've been someone I loved.

I felt the air electrify and my muscles, strained with nerves, began to tingle. I felt him and I turned around just as he pushed the front door further, his eyes rounding as he saw me in the hallway of the single-storey house, his arm reaching for the gun, but stopping halfway.

Why was he here now of all times?

"For fuck's sake!" Callum growled and stomped towards me. "What the Hell are you doing at my crime scene, Keri?"

I straightened up and pushed my shoulders back. I was the Alpha of the Silver Bullets; I couldn't let him think he intimidated me.

Not that he ever did.

His forbidding, angry looks and the way he loomed a head above me never deterred me from standing up to him. I had a very different reason to always be on edge around that man. Whenever I saw him, whenever I felt him near me, I had to fight the urge to touch him. Especially now that we'd started to get closer...

Focus, Keri!

"There wouldn't be a crime scene without a killer." My voice came out steady, confident even. Professional. We had to keep this professional. "A killer who is trying to make it appear as if my pack is somehow involved. You don't expect me to just stay at home and wait for reports, do you, Detective?"

"That is exactly what you should do." He crossed his arms over his chest and I couldn't help but notice how large and strong he was. And fit. Especially for a guy his age and with his lifestyle. It seemed that danger made me notice his genetic pros even more. A natural instinct to procreate before it was too late perhaps?