Chapter 19

First ring - no answer

First ring - no answer. Second ring - no answer. Third ring...

Oh, come on!

I paced around my office in an angry circle. I'd thought that giving Alec some directions couldn't possible hurt, but this...

This literally hurt, I said in my head as I rubbed the spot on my thigh where the edge of one of the boxes had left a red trail on my skin when I'd accidently bumped into it.

Fifth ring and finally he graced me by picking up his darn mobile.

"You got Ollie everything from my list!" I didn't bother with a greeting. I was pissed off. Perhaps I was overreacting, but I'd spent the last few hours helping to move furniture in, out and around Everett and Lisa's house. Several other pack members had offered their services, but I'd had to turn them down simply because there was no room for them on the premises. "You even bought some things that weren't on it," I added without lowering my voice, then caressed my neck with my phone-free hand to relax the muscles there.

This had not been what I'd had in mind when I'd planned to work out today.

"I did say everything the little beast would need."

Gotta admire how the boy can sound bored and smug at the same time, I derided in my head.

"Thought this would piss daddy dearest more than just a toy or two."

I stopped my pacing and sighed.

"There were so many things, Alec," I started for my desk, turning on the lamp when I got there, "that Everett tried to return some because there was no space in their house."

"No returns."

"Yeah, that's what the delivery guys said." I sat down and leaned my tired back on the chair. "The same delivery guys I had to send away as soon as the stuff was out of the trucks because some of the younger children got excited by all the pretty things and it's difficult for youngsters not to shift when they are excited."

He chuckled.

"Hope daddy dearest got hernia from moving those stuff around."

"He didn't, but I was a breath away from getting it." I scoffed, sitting up and setting the phone on speaker so I could use both my hands to rub my aching biceps.

"You helped him, oh, mighty Alpha?"

"Of course I helped him," I said, ignoring the jesting address. "And Rhys too. There were so many things, we had to store some of the items in his house and over at your grandma's place."

"Hmm..." I heard a fridge open, followed by a discreet meowing. "Maybe I should buy the little beast a house. Now won't that really piss daddy dearest off?"

"Can you buy a house?" I asked, rolling my eyes, but then paused for thought.

Could he?