Chapter 36

Interesting guesses about why Callum got all hot in the previous chapter and then went back to normal. Most of you seem to think it has something to do with the mate bond so I'll say this again: humans, Gifted or not (and I'm talking in general, not saying that Callum is a Gifted), cannot feel the mate bond.

Have any of you considered that maybe Callum got colder because Keri's presence managed to calm him down? With it having to do with his human feelings for her, not the mate bond?

Or maybe it was something entirely different?

One of you mentioned someone might be targeting Callum and making his body temperature rise as a way to harm Keri; that's also an interesting option...

"And you can't recall ever having another such incident?" The pretty blond doctor asked again, this time with a pen poised over my medical record.

I swallowed as the image of Miriam's abuser on fire flashed through my mind.

"No," I croaked out.

That had been an accident. A problem with one of the gas lanterns. It had to be. It had nothing to do with my fever.

So why did I keep thinking of it?

The doctor raised her face from the papers in her hands, her golden eyes holding mine.

"I'm a vampire, coming from a long line of purebloods; I can hear your pulse from this close without a stethoscope."

"So?" I licked my lips.

Damn it, I'd kill for a drink.

"It skipped a beat before you replied."

Not a beer. Something stronger. Something way stronger.

"Want to try that again?" She asked.

"I don't recall having a sudden fever that just went away a few minutes later." I looked about the pristine examination room with all its fancy equipment. I knew there would be no alcohol here. My gaze kept searching for it anyway.

"But?" The doctor kept prompting.

I turned my attention back to her.

"But? But what? There's no 'but'. That was the first time. That's it."

"You are still hiding something from me." Those unnaturally-colored eyes bore into mine as she waited for me to spill the beans. A minute of silence passed. Then another. Finally, the doctor sighed and got up.

"I don't have time for this," she declared, leaving my chart on the corner table next to where I sat in a surprisingly comfortable chair. I didn't want to be in the Sentinel's medical facilities, but I couldn't deny they were well-equipped.

"The next one will have to deal with your attitude," she added as she took her tall frame towards the door.

"The next one?" I repeated. "The next what?"