Chapter 38

I finished writing Chapter 1 of Alec's story and I can't wait to share it with you! I think you will enjoy it. It's coming up soon, but for now you can check out my message board where I posted a teaser from Sweeter than Sweets (I decided to stick to that title) on Tuesday; I'll post another teaser next Tuesday.

 It's coming up soon, but for now you can check out my message board where I posted a teaser from Sweeter than Sweets (I decided to stick to that title) on Tuesday; I'll post another teaser next Tuesday

Here I was again, standing outside the isolated house, away from my pack.

I wasn't sure what I was looking for. I didn't find anything the last time I was here, granted, I'd been interrupted by Callum's sudden and bizarre condition.

Putting on a pair of gloves, I walked under the yellow tape and into the hallway, goose bumps raising on my flesh. Something was different. The weather was colder today, and there was a chill in the house, but that wasn't it.

Something was off about this place, something other than the fact an innocent human woman had lost her life in here.

I stood still, listening.

I didn't hear any suspicious sounds. Just the wind outside, which had been steadily picking up speed and pushing dark clouds towards Woodville.

And yet...

Perhaps I should transform?

My senses were stronger in wolf form.

But what if a human cop was to stop by, one that didn't know we existed?

I was starting to regret my decision of not taking anyone with me. I didn't want my wards to see the blood, to sniff its metallic flavor in the air, so I'd come alone.

Perhaps I should've taken Kelly along; she'd already seen the horror.

But she was at work and I had been too antsy to wait for the end of her shift.

My other option had been Callum, but the Sentinels had yet to discharge him from their medical facility. Today was the fourth day he'd spent there and there were still no results.

I shook my head.

Callum shouldn't be on my mind right now. There were more pressing matters. I had to find some clues, but first I had to attempt to discover what was nagging at my intuition.

I didn't head straight for the bedroom. I slowly walked - as quietly as possible - to the rooms that preceded it. Living room, kitchen, hallway - by the looks of them, you'd think this was just any ordinary house. There was a light layer of dust that showed the place hadn't been cleaned for a week or two, but no broken furniture, and no blood. No evidence of what had taken place in the bedroom.

And there I was.

In front of the bedroom.

I had found nothing suspicious in the rest of the house and I was beginning to think it was my imagination playing tricks on me, stirred by the images of what had happened during my last visit.