Chapter 16

Hey, kittens!

My April giveaway is still ongoing, but time is running out so if you want to win the three prizes, you better hurry up and enter. The link is given as an External link and in the first comment of this chapter.

PS: Confused as to what's going on in this chapter? Maybe you weren't notified of Chapter 15 (the Friday update).

Say something, say something, say something, my mind kept urging, but my mouth refused to cooperate. I was speechless, a gazillion reasons as to why Alec had brought Callum up were running through my head, and none of them were boding a positive outcome for me.

"You two looked... intense, the last time I saw you," the blond hybrid went on, his voice almost pleasant with just the slightest hint of danger.

When had he seen us?

Was it at the pub?

His next words answered my unspoken questions as if he'd read my mind:

"Odd place to meet, in front of a jewelry store."

He'd seen that! Great Spirits, he'd seen that!

Faint, I leaned back in my chair, glad that I wasn't standing as my legs turned too weak to hold me. Fine sweat broke all over my body as my pulse raced. My throat was dry, but my eyes had watered.

This was Alec. He was intelligent and astute; there was no way he hadn't drawn his own conclusions after witnessing the scene that had taken place between Callum and I on the day I'd been helping Rhys pick a ring for Riley.

Alec knew and the only question before me was how he was going to abuse that information.

I set the phone away to take a few deep breaths that did nothing to compose me, then brought the device back to my ear.

"What do you want?" I asked in the most even tone I could muster. I expected jesting and quipping - anything to prolong my torture before he delivered his demand - so I was astonished when he got straight to the point:

"Tell me what kind of equipment my favorite daddy has bought for his pureblood."

Once again, I was stunned into silence.

I had no idea what he'd ask for, but if I had to guess... Well, I would've never thought of this.

"Equipment?" I finally managed to ask.

"Yeah, you know, baby stuff." I heard slurping, as if he was drinking through a straw. "Bed or a basket with a blanket, chew toys, whatever the baby dogs need."

"Why would you want to know that?"

Was he messing with me?

"To piss of daddy dearest, of course." More slurping came after his reply.