Chapter 20

Hey, kittens!

Have you nominated your favorite Wattpad stories for The Fiction Awards yet?

You don't know how to? You don't know what The Fictions Awards are?

I'll explain in the A/N at the bottom!

PS: In case you've forgotten some of the terminology in this series, I'll post a brief glossary in the first comment. For now, here are two names that might've escaped your mind since they'd only been mentioned before:

Anne - a shifter who left the Silver Bullets to be with her mate Jason, even though the pack didn't approve of him. She's the first person who comes to Keri's mind when Keri is thinking of unfavorable mate pairings, even though Anne left before Keri was born so Keri has only heard of her.

Jason - Anne's mate and the leader of a small, shady pack of drifter werewolves.

The wipers chased the last of the water drops off my windshield so I turned them off

The wipers chased the last of the water drops off my windshield so I turned them off. The light drizzle had stopped just as the first houses in the Silver Bullets' neighbourhood had greeted me. A few more minutes and I'd be at my destination.

I checked my rear view mirror for other vehicles or young, careless pups running around and realized I was frowning. It wasn't that I had a problem going over to Keri's place, but nearing it had reminded me of the conversation I'd had yesterday with her cousin.

"What? You want to shove your nose back into the serial killer's case?" Kelly sat on the edge of my desk. "There hasn't been a murder in months and..." She looked around the precinct to make sure no one was eavesdropping on our conversation. "And," she quietly went on, leaning towards me, "the Sentinels still count it as an ongoing investigation."

"But more recent cases with more promising leads are their priority," I pointed out and she sighed.

"I know but... Do you have to go through the Silver Bullets member records again? Keri has only just taken a break from this case; do you have to remind her and bring it so close to home?"

"You want me to stop doing my job out of consideration for your cousin's feelings?"

"Well, no, but..." She huffed and tapped her foot against the dirt-covered floor tiles of the precinct. "Fine. I'll call her to get the records out. She'd want to be there when you go through them though."

"I'll call her," I insisted, then, when she raised an eyebrow in question, I clarified: "I'm also sure Keri won't just hand me pack records and leave me to my own devices. If I call her, it will be easier to arrange to meet when we are both free."

Kelly nodded and pushed herself off my desk.

"You got a point there," she admitted as she stretch. "I'm going to grab a coffee; want me to bring you one too?"