Chapter 11

A/N: Thank you for all the feedback on Sentiments & Reason - Important Announcement (the update before this chapter). The result?

It does seem that extras in between chapters would annoy some of you so I'm sticking to only chapters with extras (and giveaways!) on special occasions. Like my birthday next month... I'll be having a giveaway then.

And like today. I'm giving you an extra.

In order to apologize for the slow updates, I'm ending this chapter with Rhys' character profile.

Enjoy! ^_^

The feeling of elation that I'd gotten from throwing Jasper's own words at him - 'don't dawdle' - was dissipating the closer I got to my house

The feeling of elation that I'd gotten from throwing Jasper's own words at him - 'don't dawdle' - was dissipating the closer I got to my house. With Kennedy running off to his home and Horace going who knows where - also home, probably - my attention was solely on the belligerent male shifter who was walking behind me, no doubt glaring at my back.

My cousin had always been the odd one out in the family.

Not that he was actually odd - by no means, no - but he'd always been different from his siblings, my brother and I.

It wasn't just an age gap although there was one between us. Jasper had been born before those years, the cursed years when no Silver Bullets pair could conceive an offspring while Kelly, Jared, Anthony and I were products of the baby boom that had followed.

With Jasper, it was more a matter of attitude.

Namely, growing up Kelly, Jared, Anthony and I saw each other as equals while Jasper had always been haughty, acting like it was a given that one day the pack will be his. Having me take over after Uncle Zach had passed had delivered him a huge blow and turned his arrogance to malice.

I'd thought I'd give him time to adapt, but it's been over two years and he still questioned and sometimes outright opposed my authority. I couldn't wait any longer; I had to put him in his place.

I opened the door to my home and went inside first, leading the way to my study. It had previously been my mother's, just like this whole house, but after Anthony and I had grown up and our parents had retired, they'd moved in with my father's pack, leaving me the house. I missed them dearly, but with my grandma ill and her recovery going better on the Lupine Lagoon territory, dad had returned to the pack he'd been born in to take care of her and mom had naturally gone with him.

Jasper closed the front door more forcefully that he had to - yet another expression of his jaundice towards me - but I ignored it for now. We'd talk - or more likely fight - when we got to the study.

A few more steps and I pushed the heavy oak door, entering my destination. My cousin stepped in after me.

"Close the door," I ordered, heading for the desk. I didn't sit behind it; I wanted to be at my full height during whatever was about to come.