Chapter 22

Hey, kittens! I'm taking part in the Wattpad Block Party again; what do you want me to write for it?

• writing/Wattpad advice

• a sneak peek

• a character interview

• something else?

"So," my cousin began, making herself comfortable on the chair on the other side of my desk, "it wasn't that bad?"

"Define 'that bad'," I muttered handing her a soda can before opening one for myself.

"No need for sturdy garbage bags, big enough to hold a grown man's body? No bloodshed?"

"Apart from the..." I started, but at the same time Kelly added:

"Apart from when he cut himself on the glass."

"No, none of that."

"Good." She grinned and relaxed back into her seat. "I honestly thought you and Callum were going to bite each other's heads off."

I licked my lips.

Then I swallowed two gulps of my soda.

And then, for the lack of anything to do, I licked my lips again.

Kelly raised an eyebrow at me.

"Is there something you are not telling me, cousin?"

Only that I'm in love with your superior, that I'm trying to get over that, but it's hard since I've recently discovered we have some things in common, and I'm so desperate to spend time with him, that I selfishly enjoyed finding out that one of those common things is an unhealthy obsession with digging into the grotesque work of a serial killer, I recited in my head. Aloud I said:

"No. Can't think of anything."

Then I necked the rest of my soda.

"But there is something, isn't there?" Her eyes narrowed as she took me in and she pushed herself forward, placing her can on one of the two coaster on my desk, the motion a little forceful, making the liquid inside fizz.

I placed my own empty can on the second coaster, not far from hers.

"There's nothing, Kels," I said with less conviction than I usually succeeded to fake. Realizing my mistake, I added: "It's just that the Detective can be very headstrong sometimes."

That wasn't the reason why I was shaken by Callum visiting me earlier today, but I couldn't tell her the truth. I couldn't tell her that while he only felt static when we touched a few hours ago, I'd felt that and the current which undeniably showed some great force wanted us together; I couldn't let her know how my heart had skipped at that brief, barely-there contact or how the ever so light brush had taken my breath away; I couldn't...