Prologue

Hi people of Wattpad! Welcome to my first ever story on Wattpad! I have written fanfiction before, just on a different site, so please pardon me if something looks weird with my writing since I'm not used to writing on Wattpad. Thank you all for reading my story. This is an edited and fixed version of my Shade story on Quotev. So yeah, now that I'm hoping that this Shade story will be a bit better than my old one. This is an old-ish story, so if this looks like something you've seen before and it looks like I'm copying something, I promise that is not the case. I am just putting my story on Wattpad from Quotev. Hope all you people of Wattpad enjoy this (hopefully) better version of Shade! Okay, I'm done yappin'. Read! -Anna

 My name is Alice Thrice, and I am Shade. I have the powers over shadows. I can take a shadow from an object, or just from the dark of night itself, and shape it into almost anything, depending on its size. My main weapon is a scythe I call Dark Blade. The things I create are tangible to other people, and are the color of ebony. The shadows I take from things won't be able to move, no matter how much you try. Not even Superman could move a car when I took its shadow. Trust me, he tried. 

 I can take peoples' shadows, but it takes time and drains my energy. When I do, they can't move either. I'm able to put the shadow back, but of course, no shadows, no powers. I can teleport through shadows, I just need to know what the place looks like so I can teleport to that place. Last thing is that I can turn into a shadow silhouette of myself and become intangible, kind of like Martian Manhunter's density shifting. But it takes a lot of my energy and I can't do it for long. 

 Now for my backstory...It seems like almost every hero or even sometimes villains, have horrible backstories. Mine is no exception. 

 I was born with my powers. No, my parents weren't sorcerers or witches, nor were they mutants. They were normal people who I wanted to grow up with at the time. I had a brother and sister who were older than me. It's not that hard to remember them all with my past. 

 When I was two, my parents found out about my powers. One day, I wanted to play, but my parents were too busy. So, I kept thinking about building blocks, since that was what I wanted to play with, and I looked st the trash can. Suddenly, several solid black blocks appeared, and the trash can's shadow had disappeared. Apparently, my parents just had to look over me at that time and saw the whole thing. To say the least, they freaked. I was still very young and didn't understand what was happening.

 When I turned four, my parents paid scientists to do experiments on me to find out how I got my powers. Of course, my parents didn't tell anyone about my powers or the experiments, otherwise people would take away the scientists and me. I finally understood that they didn't want me for who I was when the first experiment was initiated. They wanted any other child that didn't have freaky powers, like my brother and sister. I usually cried myself to sleep at night. 

 The scientists would try out multiple things to test out my powers and their limits, to the point of exhaustion. They did all their experiments in the basement. When I didn't do what they wanted me to do, they would beat me until I couldn't move. The first time I tried to take a scientist's shadow, I passed out for days. When I woke, the scientists and even my parents beat me for leaving the man there for days. Like I could control my powers back then.

 As I got older, I would try to conjure up weapons to try to escape, but the scientists snapped a shock collar on me. They used it a lot more times that they had excuses for. They barely gave me food and it was hard to sleep. My brother and sister were the only ones good to me...or so I thought. They would occasionally bring me food so I wouldn't starve. They were the only people I trusted then for a moment of time. But one day, I overheard the scientists talking to my siblings, congratulating them for giving me some sort of chemicals to help with the tests. I never took anything from them after that.