S O U L L E S S: CHAPTER 9

"I never knew that you and the new kids were close." Dad started directing the wheel around another curve. He cursed under his breath at how narrow the Cliffside roads were, "What are the parents like?"

I sent him a side look with an arched brow, "I have no idea." I mumbled bouncing the heel of my foot. Dad winged up a brow at me, "Nervous?" He asked through a light smile and I rolled my eyes.

"I'm having lunch in the island weirdo house." I stated giving him a pointed look, "With a family who I don't even know. This is new to me, so roll back the attitude."

A bark of laughter left him and he slapped a hand against the wheel, "Hey, I'm the dad." He reminded me, sitting up a little straighter and he jutted his chin towards me, "You reel back the attitude, kiddo."

Outside the humid air made the thought of wearing my hair down impossible. Today the thick mass of waves was scraped back into a ponytail that just couldn't stay perfect, I had loose strands hanging around my face left right and center.

"Why did you stop?" My brows furrowed when I realized that we were sitting at the bottom of the hill and I turned to my sheepish looking father.

He ran a calloused hand through his thick hair with a wry smile, "That hill with be hell to get up in this old clunker." Dad tried to defend and he slapped the dash, "You know how jumpy she is, Adriana..."

"Shame on you." I said remorselessly, undoing my seat-belt as I glowered at him. Dad smiled back with an innocent look on his face, "When you're old and crippled, remember this day. Because I will."

"Oh, come on now!" Dad hollered with a small laugh as I jumped out of the truck, "Don't be like that!"

I waved him off as I tied the sleeves of my denim jacket around my waist, "You should have your own priorities in place, you know, with me being your only child and all." I sighed dramatically, slamming the door shut and he winded down the window, "I hope Old Creekers House has a good food blender."

He waved me off as I began my hike up the mile-long hill. Out of all the roads on the goddamn island, I hated this one the most. It was the steepest one here because it led up to the ocean cliffs, I head the view was amazing but no one wanted to drive up the hell-hill. Myself included.

"I love you!" Dad's yell echoed from the car and I sent him a scathing look, "Bring me home some left-overs!"

Once I'd made it to the top of the hill I could see the gated entrance to the Wicker Estate. It felt as if the walk would never end. The only shade I was given from the sun was from the treelines that boxed me in from both sides but that doesn't stop a light sheen of sweat covering, well, only my whole body.

I've never regretted wearing a dress more in my life. It was the simplest lightest fabric I had but it was the skirt that was driving me crazy, it kept brushing against my thighs and even though it was loose, my own sweat made it feel tight.

Corvin graced me with his presence half way up. Circling the air above my head and talking loudly, he loved to tell his stories and today was no different. I listened to his boasting and found comfort in the sound, it was almost soothing to me after hearing it for so long.

"My god," A not so distant voice commented like a cannon in the night, "You look awful, Adriana!"

Lennox stood at the towering antique gate, leaning against the twisted black rod casually. It was like she couldn't even feel the sun. Lennox's fair skin seemed to glow rather than burn, and she even had the luck of wearing a strappy summer dress that done nothing but compliment her.