| S O U L L E S S: EPILOGUE|

"I can't believe you saved my life."

"Don't make me live to regret it."

Sherry cast me an unimpressed side glance, pressing an ice pack against her head with a sullen look. I think we were both stunned at my actions. Although, I did have to admit how satisfying it was knowing that Sherry Blinder's literally owed her life to me.

But the cost has emotionally broken me.

I washed my hands to many times to count, but they still felt dirty. I had killed someone. Something no one ever thinks they would ever do in life, especially on Mirus. 

I still can't wrap my head around it that it was me who done it. That I was a murderer, I saved someone's life by taking another's.

What does that make me? A monster, or a hero? It felt like neither.

Lennox paced across the floors, her eyes glazed over in thought. Every so often she would inhale quietly, and pause, that's when I guessed that she was having a vision, before she started again. Never did she break the tense silence that settled between us.

Sherry managed herself by pulling out our surely outdated medical kit, and applying a balm to her split lip. Although, I think her silence was mostly due to her puking all over my basement floor earlier.

Out of us all, I couldn't tell who was more shook. Sherry was definitely worse for wear, although she was hiding it through snarky comments. Her fingers still trembled as she dabbed the blood from her face.

I didn't blame her. This was one of those things that wouldn't leave us. The kind of memory that buries itself in your skull, and lingers there forever.

"Dead." Lennox's shoulder's slumped in relief, and she slipped her eyes shut. Her statement made my own shoulders tense in an emotion I wasn't familiar with, "Praise be, the Wraith's; are all dust in the wind. I think that calls for a drink!"

I felt my eyes slip shut as the relief passed through me, like a cool awakening. They were gone, and the island was safe again. The news was like music to my ears, and it was like I could breathe, again after unknowingly holding my breath for a long time.

"I'll second that, weirdo." Sherry muttered, wincing at the movement of her bloody lip, "Does this mean I can go home now?"

Gucci whimpered by her side, and I wondered is dogs could have post-traumatic stress. If so, this little doggo would need some serious therapy.

After all, it did almost witness its adoptive mother nearly have her soul stolen from her, and drained of energy. I can't imagine that it would've been pleasant for either of them.

"Do you want to go home?" I suddenly asked, wondering how she would feel safe.

Sherry, I had come to realise, was a lot braver than I ever thought possible. With great reluctance, I had to admit that she wasn't as bad as I always thought she was. Looking back, I'm actually impressed at the way she sacrificed her safety to help me.

She went silent for a moment, and slowly began to shake her head, "No." Sherry softly admitted, and it relieved me that I wasn't alone in my wanting to have people around me.

I wasn't sure how I would explain the mess in the basement, but dad hated it down there anyway. So I could always patch it up myself, and claim that it had always been that way. Another lie to add to the ever-growing pile, but at least this one was intended to protect.

Which made me wonder why Katerina had shown up tonight, why she helped me. I think it was made pretty clear that I was a burden for her, that Katerina's family would make her life hell for hiding me.