The Story of Us: Priorities

Odette woke up to the smell of maple in the air and a small smile graced her lips as she turned over expecting Elijah to be there, waiting for her to open her eyes. She loved the mornings after she spent the night with Elijah the most, having someone to wake up to made her feel so loved. But this morning she was greeted by a tall bottle of water with a note that said: "Drink me.". With a frown, she slowly sat up, her head was pounding, as the room began to sway. She wanted to call out to Elijah, but her throat was too dry. Odette groaned internally as she picked up the bottle of water that looked so unappealing at the moment, but she quickly drunk it down. After taking a full ten minutes to make it to the bathroom, she took a steaming hot shower, before making her way to the kitchen, where Elijah was finishing up breakfast.

"Good morning Ducky," Elijah said as she slowly made her way over to him and rested her head on his shoulder.

"I don't feel good," She complained as Elijah wrapped his arms around her.

"I know you don't," Elijah said with a chuckle as he guided her towards the table. "Hopefully you learned your lesson last night." He murmured as he placed a plate of food in front of her.

"I did," Odette said with a pout as she stared up at him. She regretted her actions, she should have found another way to vent her frustrations, and now her body was paying the price. Ducky had learned her lesson. The only positive she had going for her was the fact that Elijah was more than happy to dote on her.

"Wait, why are you dressed for work?" Odette asked realizing that Elijah was fully dressed as if he had a day full of meetings.

"Because it's Thursday and adults have to go to work." he answered with a chuckle.

"Oh my God!" she exclaimed as she shot out of her chair.

"Relax Ducky, I'm giving you the day off." He said putting his hand on her shoulder, easing her back into her seat.

"I can't take the day off, that meeting with Fakir is today. You need me," she said trying to get up again.

"You finished all of the work necessary for the meeting, I'm sure I can figure out what's what. I'm giving you the day off, and I will not take no for an answer." Elijah said sternly.

"Your nepotism is showing." She said with a smile as she rubbed the side of his face.

"You see what you do to me?" he said with a boyish grin. "Besides, if you come to the office all I will do is baby you all day."

"So you're going to leave me by myself all day," She whined. Elijah stared at her, surprised by her clinginess.

"Say the word, and I'll stay home." He said truthfully. Elijah was ready to call Fakir's secretary and reschedule the meeting, but he knew that Odette would have a fit.

"No, I won't do that to you," she said with a sigh. "Can you try to come home early?"

"You don't even have to ask. I should be back around two," Elijah said as he nibbled on a piece of toast. "Ducky promise me you won't try to drink your pain away again. You know you can always talk to me."

"Oh no, I'm never doing that again," She said pushing back her plate of food.

"You need to eat your breakfast and go back to bed." He said pushing the plate towards her as he looked down at his watch.

"I won't be able to sleep if you're not there." She said with a pout as she stared at the hash browns on her plate. At that moment, Elijah could have sworn he heard the collective swooning of Gaby and Evangeline. Even he had to admit that he found this side of Odette endearing. He couldn't say no to her when she was like this, even though he never said no to her.