Apartment Hunters

"Why is the sun so bright?" Elijah mumbled as he trailed behind Odette who seemed to be flying through the crowds of people.

"You didn't have to come; you could have stayed at the hotel." She tossed over her shoulder as she unlocked their rental car. Amidst all of the chaos going on at work, Odette managed to find some time to make a quick trip to France to apartment shop. Elijah insisted that he tagged along to make sure her living situation was up to his standard. He could not have his Ducky living in squalor.

"I have to make sure you find the right apartment." He got into the car and turned on the navigational system.

"Good morning Ms. Pratt, I will be your driver for the day, you may call me Eamon before we set off to our destination I require a tip." He tapped his lips signaling for a kiss. A slow smile spread across Odette's lips as she leaned in and happily obliged him.

"Now we can go. Give me the first address."

The first apartment was a hole in the wall studio apartment, the moment they stepped foot into the entrance of the building Elijah was not pleased. The marble floor had a large crack that greeted them at the entrance and escorted them to the elevators. The group stuffed themselves into the tiny elevator, as the elevator started on its rickety ascent, Elijah tried to remember the last time he updated his will. The elevator came to a jerky stop, and Odette let out the breath she was holding as the doors slid open with an eerie squeak. When the landlord opened the door to the little apartment, Odette had to pull on Elijah's hand to keep him from flying off the rails.

"Hell no," he whispered as he shook his head in disapproval as the landlord rambled on about what could be done with the tiny space.

" Je vais y réfléchir, merci," she said letting the old woman know that she would think about it and quickly ushered Elijah out.

"You could have been much nicer. "Odette fussed as she struggled to catch up with Elijah who barreled down the stairs.

"The hell I couldn't, how could they even consider that an apartment is beyond me." He ranted as he tossed open his car door. He got in and slammed the door closed behind him before Odette even left the sidewalk. As he started up the car, he could feel Odette's staring at him as she slammed shut the door.

"What's the next address?" he did not want to look at her knowing that she was disappointed in his behavior.

"Elijah," the softness of her voice sent a shiver through him and compelled him to look at her. Her soft honey eyes pulled him in, and he immediately calmed down. She placed her hand on top of his thigh and let out a sigh.

"I know you want the best for me; I love that about you, I really do. But, this is not about you and what you want. I have to go with what fits my pocket."

"You know I could easily give you one of the company apartments, we could-"

"-Maximillian," it was the first time she used his middle name that meant he was stepping too far. Odette figured that since Elijah wasn't getting it maybe she could reason with Maximillian. Her eyes pleaded with him to behave himself.

"Odette, I won't be able to rest if I know you are living below your means. You deserve the best, and I am going to make sure that's what you get, and I won't apologize for it." His tone was final, and Odette rolled her eyes as she sat back in her seat and folded her arms across her chest.

They rode to the next complex in silence. As the couple was guided around Elijah didn't say much, he watched as Odette talked with the landlord, he could tell that she wasn't impressed by the space but was focusing solely on her pocketbook, and it killed him that she would not allow him to at least cover her rent. They viewed two more apartments before Odette's stomach started to talk back to her. Elijah picked a cute, quiet bistro for lunch but the intimate atmosphere wasn't doing much to help dissolve the ice between them.