The Story of Us: Crossroads

Elijah dropped the plate in his hands as he heard Odette scream at the top of her lungs. He rushed towards the bedroom, tripping over his shoes. He stumbled into the bedroom to find Odette jumping up and down with her cell phone glued to her ear.

"Oh my god mom, I told you to be nice, but not that nice," She said with a laugh as Elijah stared at her, confusion etched on his face. He sat down on the edge of the bed as he took in a deep breath. He needed time for his spirit to catch up with the rest of his body.

"We must have dinner tonight, I will call you during lunch to make arrangements," Odette said as she slipped into her slacks.

After ending the call, Odette wrapped her arms around Elijah.

"My mom and Paulie got engaged last night." She said with a squeal, unable to contain her joy.

"What!" Elijah said in utter disbelief, "I didn't know they were a couple,"

"Their relationship is ... complicated. They were, and they weren't." she said as she finished buttoning up Elijah's shirt.

"Okay, you have to explain," he said as his hands rested on the small of her back.

"For as long as I can remember Paulie has always been in our lives and over the moon in love with mom. But, my mom wasn't trying to have a relationship after the disaster that was my sperm donor. Ms. Evangeline loved him but refused to jeopardize their friendship."

"That sounds familiar," Elijah said with a smirk, and Odette rolled her eyes.

"I guess that's why she was so adamant about me being honest about my feelings for you," she mumbled

"I am indebted to your mother," He said as he placed a kiss on her lips. Elijah pulled her closer as he deepened their kiss. Odette knew where they would end up if she didn't pull away.

"Don't start," she said against his lips before turning on her heels and headed towards the bathroom.

"What do you mean?" Elijah stood up and followed behind her.

"Don't play dumb you know exactly what I mean," she said wagging her brush at him. "We have a packed schedule today; we can't afford to be late." She said as she began to pull her hair back into a bun.

"Then how about we just stay home. I am the future CEO of the company." Elijah stilled her hands and placed them at her sides as he planted a kiss on the nape of her neck.

"And as secretary of the future CEO, I know how swamped you will be if you don't go in today." she countered.

"Fine," Elijah sighed "But when we get home I'm warning you now, you better stretch." He tossed over his shoulder as he walked out of the bathroom leaving Odette with her mouth gaped open. Odette chuckled to herself as she shook her head. After finishing up her hair, Odette rushed into the kitchen to make her coffee only to find that Elijah had already made it.

"What did I do to deserve you?" Odette sniffled as she sipped at her coffee letting the sweet and savory liquid penetrate her soul.

"I am so in love with you right now," She said as she took another sip making Elijah laugh. "It's perfect," she said with a sigh.

"I love you too Ducky," he said as Odette checked the time.

"We should go before we end up in traffic," Odette said as she rushed out of the kitchen.

"Wait a minute," Elijah took her coat from her and placed it back on the hook before guiding her to the island. "Have a seat; I need to say something,"

"Uh-oh am I in trouble again?" Odette wondered as she sat on the barstool her legs dangling in midair.

Elijah shook his head no while folding his arms in front of his chest.