2. A day in the life of Dahlia

...

Dahlia Ahmad's day started before the sun rose in Chittagong.

On a regular day, she left her bed deep into the night when most of the recipients of her house were still in deep slumber. She sat in the prayer mat to pray Tahajjud until it was time for Fajr prayer.

This was Dahlia's favorite time of the day. When she had her one to one with the Lord of the world. It was when He was the closest to His servants, and she could bare her heart to Allah in the serenity of the darkness.

It was those few hours of the morning that kept Dahlia's sanity intact for the rest of the day; because living in the household she did, she had come to think of peace and quiet as rare commodities.

Dahlia usually took a nap after Fajr prayer, and by the time she came down for breakfast, the Ahmad household would come to life.

This morning, the scene that greeted her was of her mother trying to feed her sister Zinnia's twins, while her other sister Lily was keeping them entertained so that they'd actually eat.

Her eldest sister Zinnia Ahmad now helped their and Ibrahim's father with the family business. She stayed at office during morning and then usually returned by late afternoon, but while she worked, her children stayed in this house.

The twin demons - as Dahlia has come to call them - were the cutest thing on the planet. They had become the main priority of every member of the house and the heart that pumped life to this family.

Their mother spent all day fussing over them and their father beamed with pride every time anyone mentioned that both the kids had inherited classic Ahmad family features - small eyes, button noses and thin lips that often formed into whole hearted smiles.

But even Dahlia, with all the affection she had in her heart for the twins, couldn't deny their love has absolutely spoiled them. They looked like angels but acted like devil's spawns.

Asiya was sitting with her hands clamped over her mouth and Mohammed was asking so many questions that he wasn't giving Lily a chance to even raise the spoon to his mouth.

"Why was the horse sad?" Mohammed's high voice hit their ears.

"Because his master was a bad man," Lily Ahmad replied, the frustration in her voice making it obvious that this wasn't the first time she had answered this question.

"Why was he bad?"

She clicked her tongue. "I'll tell you if you take a bite. Say ahhh." She opened her own mouth for demonstration.

Ibrahim entered the scene. Ibrahim Ahmad, though was technically her cousin, was breastfed by her own mother when they were both infants; making him her foster brother. Being the closest in age, he was her confidant and best friend. Having their birthdays only a day apart, the two could basically be twins.