10. Unsolicited Proposals

...

It was a warm afternoon when Kaveh and Salman arrived at their country club.

It was situated on acres of land, near the sea, away from the hustle and bustle of the city, with the view of ferry boats.

They were sitting under one of the white gazebos facing the swimming pool near the coffee house. Salman Bashir was drumming his fingers against the table, his eyes on the paper Kaveh had been reading moments ago.

"Dad gets out at five," Kaveh spoke, breaking the silence between them, as he kept scrolling through his phone. "After that he wants me to meet with the investors. Discuss a new project. Not sure how long it's going to last," he said, finally looking up.

"You know, by the rate we've been coming here, and you're attending meetings, I feel like we're slowly starting to turn into one of Arshad Fayyad's old friends," Salman said, eyes twinkling with mirth. "Might as well start playing golf too."

Kaveh shot him a derisive look. "You will play golf?"

"We grew up playing cricket in this club, we have to grow old playing golf," Salman huffed. "It's a rite of passage."

"I played cricket, you applied sunscreen and sat on the bleachers."

"I don't actually have to play, I just have to dress up for the part," he said, rolling his eyes dramatically. "As I am pretending to be a sophisticated adult gentleman now." He pointed to his grey slacks.

"Thought your life long aspiration was to stay young forever and become a leather jacket wearing uncle for Malika's children."

Salman's lips turned up in a lazy, crooked grin. "Now my aspiration is to become a sophisticated rich old man who drinks expensive coffee and gives children big notes for chips."

Before Kaveh could respond to his ridiculousness, a disembodied voice cut them off.

"Boys!" Fardin called out.

Two boys appeared in their view. Their high school friend, and Salman's cousin Raad, neared their table with smiling faces. Both Salman and Kaveh got to their feet to greet and embrace them.

"Did you watch the game last night?" Fardin asked them as soon as they were done exchanging formalities.

Salman's eyes lit up. "Did you see Ronaldo's goal?"

They excitedly replayed and discussed the match as they made room on the table for the new comers.

"So my parents are looking for a bride for my brother, right?" Raad said suddenly. "And get this, Rani Aunty expressed interest in him for her daughter!" Raad's excited voice cried, snapping Salman out of his chain of thoughts.

Raad's words knocked the wind out of him and Salman swiftly looked up at his cousin. "For Rashid bhaia?" he cried. He could feel Kaveh's eyes boring on the side of his face, which he ignored.