20. A Moment in Time

...

Dahlia Ahmad truly disliked rain.

It was a gloomy evening in the over-populated city. The sky, hiding behind pregnant and prowling clouds, was grumbling and flashing occasionally ― like a warning before its spontaneous leaking.

Dahlia Ahmed leaned against a wooden pole on their patio, her eyes on the infinite sky that stretched over their backyard.

All of a sudden, spits of water hit Dahlia's face and thunder rumbled overhead. The bickering of her sisters faded from the background as pitter patter of rain filled the air, and the constant lingering scent of spiced tea was dissipating to be replaced by earth and moss. She furrowed her eyebrows at the sky in disapproval.

Regardless of her displeasure, Dahlia closed her eyes, lifted her face towards the light drizzle and murmured a prayer. She simultaneously rubbed her arm to settle back the goosebumps that had risen ― the thin shawl around her head was a sorry excuse for a protection against the merciless weather. Within minutes, the rogue wind changed its direction, and before Dahlia knew it, the drizzle turned into an downpour.

"Whee!" With a sudden burst of cry, Ibrahim whizzed past her into the heavy rain, with the twin monkeys in toe. Asiyah squealed and ran into Ibrahim's arms, and Muhammad danced around them. Dahlia, though initially startled, started laughing at the scene before her.

"Ibi!" Zinnia's voice sounded distant over the vigorous pitter-patter, but it was hard to miss the outrage in her tone. Within seconds, the bearer of the angry cry was besides Dahlia. "They're going to get sick." She shrieked.

But the recipients of Zinnia's anger barely paid any attention to her.

"Ibi!" She shouted again.

Ibrahim put Asiyah down and jogged towards the sisters with a playful glint in his eyes. Before the two sisters could realize, he clutched their arms and jerked them out of the shelter. He pulled them into the middle of the lawn, despite their protests and struggles, as the two children cheered for him. Within seconds they were soaked to the bone.

Dahlia, though shivering, soon gave in when she saw the children's gleeful faces, and Ibrahim laughed loudly as Zinnia's dramatic "no" hung in the air.