19. Old Habits Die Hard

For the first time in a while, Farrah started her morning with a light heart

She had received a call back from one of her first choice of law firms and was called in for a second interview.

Farrah took time to get dressed. She chose an outfit that was flattering but still looked professional, she applied light makeup and even took the time to straighten her wavy hair. After she was done, Farrah stepped out into the sunny morning with ample time to beat traffic.

It was nearing noon by the time Farrah exited the Akhlaq and Sons' headquarters. The interview had gone remarkably well. They had heavily implied she should anticipate for a positive response.

Farrah called the family chauffer to pull the car to the main gate. Then she got in with a spring in her step.

Once they hit the jam-packed road, Farrah lazily pulled out her phone. She saw she that had ten missed calls from Rani. Farrah decided to ignore them since she was going home anyway and logged onto Facebook. The photos splattered across her wall dropped her jaw to the ground.

Fardin had posted a photo this morning of a wedding invitation. Specifically, her wedding invitation with a random guy's name in place of the groom's.

It was obviously fake, but that didn't stop every single person she knew from commenting on it.

Farrah's blood boiled under her skin. After all these years, after all that happened, those idiots were still making her life miserable.

In a moment's decision, she told their family chauffer to turn around and take her to the Bashir's, blood ringing in her ears. She was too furious to care that this was probably not the best way to handle the situation.

Farrah was fuming. Upon arrival, she sprung out of the car. She gritted her teeth the entire way as the elevator rose to the ninth floor. Then she got down and stomped to their apartment.

Farrah rang the bell and waited for a second. When there was no reply, she started roughly knocking on the door with her knuckles, her patience wearing thin.

Malika opened the door, her eyes big circles. "Geez, Fari," she cried. "Are you being chased by a tiger or something?"

"Where's your brother?" Farah bit out.

Malika gave her a worried look and then pointed over her shoulder into the house. Farrah brushed past her and stepped inside.

She didn't have to go any further as Salman was sitting on one of the sofas of the living room, his eyes on the entrance as he anticipated her arrival.

Farrah stormed into the room with Malika closely following behind.

"What is this?" she exclaimed, holding up her phone as she displayed the photo on the screen.

He simply stared at it. He wasn't surprised to see the photo. Any hope Farrah had that he was innocent went out the window.

"What kind of sick joke is this?" she spat out, waving her phone.