23. Who gave me evil eye

...

Farrah missed her morning alarm on the first day of work. She was shaken awake by one of their house help for breakfast, it was then she noticed the time to realize she was running dangerously late. Farrah ripped the blanket off her body, hopped off her bed and ran around her room like a mad woman trying to get everything together.

She had once, only once in her life before, missed an alarm. And that was when she was still in high school. Farrah couldn't believe a repetition of that horrendous event had to happen on what was one of the most significant days of her life. She hurried to get dressed and then ran downstairs.

Her home was slowly turning into a giant junkyard. The decorators were starting their work. Hundreds of samples, papers and bills were being sent to their home. On top of that, their kitchen was still midst renovation.

Rani Hussain was barking at anyone and everyone around her. With one hand she was holding her phone against her ear, and the other she going through some photographs.

"Farrah, you need to sit with me for the wedding," She spoke up as soon as she saw her daughter.

"Mom, I honestly don't have one single second to spare right now," Farrah replied, rifling through the fruit basket to grab an apple for the go.

"We can't decide on the colour scheme, flowers or the food menu until you give your consent," she cried with disbelief. "What on earth could be more important than this right now?'

"Mom," she sighed with vexation. "I don't care about these stuff anyway. Just pick whatever you like."

Rani stared at her like she grew a second head. "When I was getting married, I spent months planning every single meticulous detail. And you're telling me you don't care? This is the most important day of a girl's life!"

"Well, I'm not like you," she faced her mother and snapped, the last strand of her patience wearing off. "I have better things to worry about."

Rani pursed her lips. "We're discussing this wedding when you come home tonight," she said assertively. "Whether you like it or not."

Farrah rolled her eyes and let out a groan. She stepped out of the house and waited for the chauffer to bring their car to the front, when she saw Salman's BMW parked across. Farrah's heart skipped a beat.

The man himself was leaning against the car with two takeaway cups of coffee cups in his hands. Malika was visible through the window of the back seat.

"Hey," he called out. Salman flashed her his crooked grin when he saw her.

"Hi, girl," her friend poked her head out of the window and greeted cheerfully.

Farrah's lips morphed into a surprised smile. "What are you guys doing here?" she asked, voice coming out breathy.

"We wanted to see you off for your first day," he said with a shrug.