18. Eid Blues

...

With Eid came the long list of dinner parties.

The families started to invite their friends and acquaintances in their homes in the name of social obligation.

And for Farrah that meant getting out of her room and socializing with people she didn't even want to acknowledge existed.

She scrutinized her reflection in the mirror.

She was wearing a light pink embroidered salwar kameez, with golden earrings embedded with rhinestones. Her hair had grown past her shoulder, almost reaching her mid back. Her eyebrows were almost starting to meet in the middle again. Her skin was breaking out due to lack of regular moisturizing. It's been a while Farrah had taken care of herself.

On the other hand, her kameez complimented her warm skin well and her clothes still fit her perfectly even with the lack of exercise.

Despite the shortcomings, Farrah thought she looked nice. She caressed her drooping earring one last time and walked out of her room.

Her parents had been waiting for her downstairs. They quietly got into the car as her father gave their chauffer the directions. Things between them had were incredibly awkward, more than ever.

Farrah didn't even remember which aunty's house they were at, the extravagance, the gossiping, sickening amount of food were all starting to blend into one another for her.

The girls were occupying one of the bedrooms of the house. The older Ahmad sisters were into one of their heated arguments about some reality show they were watching.

Malika and Lily were teasing Dahlia with some heavy-handed hints Farrah couldn't quite figure out. There were numerous other conversations going around the room, all of which went over her head.

Soon enough, Farrah began to wonder when had she completely fallen out of loop with her friends.

At some point, some girls started talking about their Ramadan.

An ugly realization was sinking into Farrah's heart.

What had she done this Ramadan?

Watch TV shows, read books and sulk in her room, that's what. She was so busy swallowing in self pity that she did absolutely nothing to utilize this month.

Now Farrah blinked, and Ramadan was gone.

Dahlia left her band of sisters and plopped down besides Farrah, the look of deep irritation etched into her face.

"What's going on?" Farrah asked, leaving behind her thoughts.

"Don't even ask," Dahlia replied, throwing a dirty look over her shoulder at her giggling sisters.

"It's another Kaveh thing," Lily spoke up. "Poppy realized we can see into bedroom through our lawn."

"Lily!" Dahlia chided.