26. Overwhelmed

...

Dear chocolatemuffin18, here's the early chapter (albeit only by a couple hours). I would have updated earlier but I kept procrastinating (I suck I know). Hope the chapter makes you smile regardless ;)

It was a rainy day in the over-populated city. Brisk, chilly breeze roughly blew through the streets, rustling the leaves and dissipating any trace of the usual hot and humid air. It was the last rain of the summer, bringing with it the cold that would carry them to winter.

Dahlia Ahmad sat on her bed with an impassive face. Her sisters were examining the flowers Kaveh had sent her. Along with the roses, there was another white wicker basket filled with boxes wrapped in expensive looking papers which she had noticed afterwards. The delivery was received by one of their helping-hands in an empty house and left in her bedroom, of course; but it couldn't be kept hidden from her sisters for long. The gift boxes were already rummaged and exploited.

"Mhm," Lily groaned in approval as she bit into a chocolate truffle. "If I had known this was the consequence of fighting with Kaveh Fayyad I would have bashed his head against a wall long ago."

Dahlia stared at her sister, disapproval flashing across her face. "Sell out."

"Hey, hate the man not the chocs," Lily said.

"Mom didn't see this, right?" Dahlia asked, turning to Poppy, worry masking her eyes.

Poppy shook her head. "I don't think so. If she had, the entire city would have already received your wedding invitation by now."

Her sisters started sniggering but Dahlia's face paled even at the thought.

"Did you read the letter yet?" Lily asked, eyes landing on the soft pink envelope on her lap. "What does it say?"

At the mention of the letter, a fluttering appeared in Dahlia's chest. She looked down at the envelope which came with it, unlacing her fingers to trace her thumb over his name written in cursive.

"What it says is - it's none of your business," Dahlia responded, finally looking up.

"Fine, don't tell me." Lily rolled her eyes.

"You know what bothers me?" Poppy started, a thoughtful expression on her face. "He got you roses when your name is Dahlia. And you have a sister named Rose. How inappropriate."

"That's what you're thinking right now?" Dahlia's raised her eyebrows, befuddled.

"Yeah, this is borderline ignorant and slightly offensive. If my future husband doesn't get me poppies I'm going to be so mad."