22. That Fairytale Life

...

Farrah stared at her reflection in the mirror.

Dahlia was helping with her jewelry. Malika was doing her makeup, and Layla was straightening her hair. Her friends had been dressing her up for hours.

The girls were all busy making her look beautiful. But as Farrah's eyes trailed over her own features through the mirror, all she could think about was how unbelievably happy she was.

Lily Ahmad draped the loose end of her sharee behind her back and put it over her head. "You are the most beautiful bride I have ever seen," she breathed.

Farrah narrowed her eyes playfully. "I remember you saying the same thing to Rose two years ago," she looked up and beamed. "But thanks."

"And I expect all of you to repeat the exact words to me when I'm a bride," Lily said. "It's a rite of passage." She winked playfully and Farrah let out a chortle at her words.

"Girls, my family's almost here," Malika announced, looking up from her phone.

Her words elicited a gasp from Dahlia's mouth. "I'm almost done," she yelped as she quickened her pace with helping Farrah wear her bangles.

Malika stood in front of the mirror on her way to the door and checked Farrah's reflection for a moment. The tension melted away from her face to make face for affection. The two girls stared at each other, sharing a silent moment. They were each other's oldest friends, and were now becoming family.

Malika took a few steps forward and bent down, placing a soft kiss on top of Farrah's head. "You really do look beautiful," she muttered.

Farrah smiled at her warmly.

"Rani Aunty went all out with the decorations," Lily's disembodied voice mused from the balcony, slicing the moment between them. "And this is just the engagement. Can't imagine what she would do for your actual wedding."

At the mention of her mother, the smile on Farrah's face deflated. Her joy dissipated momentarily. Despite Rani's effort to make her engagement a success, Farrah knew her mother was nowhere near happy about this wedding. She still didn't approve of the Bashir's. Farrah's father had downright refused to be a part of this event and left the country.

It was hurtful that she didn't have either parents' blessing for this colossal step in her life. Farrah looked at the mirror again and scrutinized her reflection. She was so happy just a minute ago. Farrah took a deep breath. She couldn't let them weigh her down tonight, when she was finally getting all she had ever wanted. She refused to. She shook away the thoughts of her messed up family.

"They're here!" Poppy cried from the balcony.

"I see Salman," Dahlia squealed excitedly as she looked over at Farrah.