8. The Woes of Adulthood

Salman Bashir was staring at the Fayyad mansion with a glazed-over look in his eyes

The scraping of feet against the grainy driveway caught his attention. He glanced at the white door of the house, his eyes focusing on the man emerging from it.

Navy blue button-up shirt ironed to a crisp, black dress pants and well-polished shoes. His beard appeared to have been trimmed this morning and his shortly cropped hair was as neat as always.

It was seven in the morning on a weekend and Kaveh still looked like he dressed for a business meeting.

"Why are you rolling your eyes at me?" Kaveh asked with a raised brow as he slid in through the passenger door.

"Cause you're a pretentious prick," Salman retorted, placing both his hands on the steering wheel.

"Still not a morning person, I assume," Kaveh responded.

Salman grumbled under his breath as he zoomed his car out of their street and onto the path of their main road, just a little out of their residential area.

Friday mornings were typically quiet and peaceful, as the city prepared for jumu'ah. Many households began the day with Surah Kahf, the roads were mostly free of traffic, the only people seen were those out to buy their weekly groceries or for a morning jog.

However, that morning, the cars had been lining at least thirty minutes before the two best friends joined in. Brutal horns were all they could hear.

"I think the Pope is visiting to meet the refugees or something." Salman sighed, defeatedly slumping an arm over the steering wheel.

There was a deep crease between Kaveh's forehead, as he stared at the scene in front with annoyance.

Salman flashed him his infamous sideways smile. "Are you regretting your decision to come back yet?"

He threw him an exhausted look. "What's your point, Salman?"

"Still insist on claiming daddy Fayyad had nothing to do with your return?" He hoisted a brow.

Kaveh ignored him and looked out window, still frowning at pedestrians crossing the street rashly.

"Hey, cheer up," Salman said, lightly hitting Kaveh's shoulder with the back of his hand. "When's the last time we went out for breakfast, huh? he asked. "We haven't done this in forever. Let's have some fun."

"If you wanted me to have fun why are you taking me to breakfast amongst my father's polo-wearing golf buddies?"

"Because they're the 'it' crowd now, didn't you know?" Salman joked, raising his brows playfully.

Kaveh's unclenched his scowl at this, shaking his head fondly at his friend's silliness.