16. Parents Know Best

Please check out my buddy mnhlatif's book Hana & Hanaan! I can't even begin to tell you how good it is! The story starts out a bit slow, but now it has me on the hook so much I actually wait for the updates 😭.

Farrah entered her home after a long day.

She was reluctant when her friends called her to eat at the latest sushi place. Farrah really didn't feel like going out these days.

But she relented when her friends practically begged her to. She forced herself to get dressed and tried to convince herself that she would have fun.

Ten minutes after spending time with the girls, Farrah started regretting even getting out of her bedroom.

All they could kept talking about was how everyone they knew was getting married, how they didn't know what to do with their lives, and how much the parental were driving them crazy.

It was worse than the conversations she was having in her head.

Farrah left early and gladly started for her home. However, as she saw her house, a different kind of dread brew in her chest.

As soon as Farrah stepped through the door, she was taken by surprise. There were unknown faces greeting her.

Farrah stood by the entrance, awkwardly adjusting the strap of her shoulder bag, realizing they had guests over.

The women seated smiled at her called her out with enthusiasm. They started discussing how much she has grown. Farrah tried to figure out who they were.

"There you are!" Her mother swiftly approached her with a loud giggle. "I have been calling you for hours."

"Sorry," Farrah mumbled, shooting Rani inconspicuous questioning looks. "My battery died."

She could clearly see the discomfort in Rani's face and the force behind her smile. Her mother ushered her to take a seat without any proper introduction, only to disappear into the kitchen moments later.

The women sitting besides her stared at her. Farrah wanted to dig a hole in their living room ground and bury herself in it. After a little small talk, they sat in heavy silence. Why did her mother have to leave her alone with strangers?

Three men entered the room. Farrah's heart plummeted to her stomach upon the realization that one of them was her father.

"Dad," she breathed.

"My girl," Yaqub Hussain smiled, taking the seat across from her. "Where have you been? We were waiting."

His face hadn't changed since the last time she saw him, only his hair had more whites than she recalled. Those happy eyes clenched her heart tightly, the resemblance never failing to remind her of her deceased uncle.