17. Cardamom, Saffron and A healthy dose of Jealousy

Eid came a day earlier at the Ahmad household

The smell of cardamom and saffron infiltrated the air as their mothers prepared desserts for the big day.

Someone shouted from the street outside, "the moon has been sighted!" Joyous shrieks erupted again.

Dahlia was sitting on a tool on their porch. Chin on her palm and eyes trained on her sisters. Rose was on the phone with her tailor, arguing about when he would deliver her clothes. Lily, Zinnia and Poppy were on the floor, animatedly chatting as the latter applied henna on their hands one by one.

The night before Eid was always a bittersweet moment for Dahlia. On one hand, she felt regret for all the things she didn't do in Ramadan - on the other, Eid with family was always a fun occasion.

Ibrahim plopped down on the empty seat besides her, the joy on his face similar to the children on the house. He bumped Dahlia by the shoulder after a while, pulling her attention away from their sisters.

"You're in a good mood," he said to her, voice only low enough for her to hear, the look on his facing teasing. "That's a rare look for you these days."

"That's not true," Dahlia replied, rolling her eyes. "I'm just extra happy today because you all are home for the holidays," she concluded, lips breaking into a smile.

"We live in the same house, you know. We run into each other regularly, anyway," he joked.

"I know, but you guys are so busy these days I feel like I barely see you anymore." Dahlia pouted. "Even Lily is working again."

Ibrahim furrowed his brows, suddenly looking thoughtful. "Why haven't you started anything yet, Dels? I thought you were planning to start working from around this time?"

"Come on," Dahlia sighed, her mood dampening instantly. "You're starting this too?"

"Hey, I'm not confronting you or anything," Ibrahim clarified "I was just wondering."

Dahlia broke eye contact and shifted her gaze back to her sisters. "You know, I'm just taking a break. Uni was hard for me," she said, shrugging.

"I know," Ibrahim continued. "But I get the feeling you're bored. I know you didn't plan to sit idle for so long."

"I have yet to find anything I like. And honestly, I'm not even sure if I want to work at all."

"Dels, if you truly don't want to, you know I'll support your decision. But are you sure that's what it is?"

"Of course!" she cried crossly. "Why would I say that if it isn't?"

"Hey," Ibrahim softened his voice again. "Once again, not attacking. I'm only trying to help. I know how hard this is. Starting something new is terrifying, I was terrified when I was about to take this leap."