7 Minutes in Heaven Chapter 5

Picture of Jackson to the right ---->

................................

“No.” The expression in my face didn’t change—a bored, blank expression. My eyes were almost narrowed, arms folded across my chest, and my lips were pursed. Despite the pleading look Lily was shooting me, I wasn’t going to give in. There’s no way I’m ever going to another party since I’ve recently I learned that Nate would come to any party whether or not he was hated by the person who’s throwing it.

“Pretty please?” she begged. I still shook my head.

“I don’t want to go to another party, even if you’re the one throwing it,” I repeated flatly. She pouted, and I added on, “You know that I hate parties.”

Lily sighed, “I know…but it just won’t feel the same without you, Jem.”

I rolled my eyes teasingly. “You’ve been attending parties with the rest without me. What are you talking about?”

She bit her lip. “Well…you’re good with people, right?”

I raised a brow disbelievingly. Was she serious? “Hardly,” I replied dully. When she doesn’t say anything, I ask, “What is it, Lily? You know, you usually don’t ask me to do outrageous things like going to parties—which is so unlike me—unless it’s something important.”

Fidgeting as she fiddled with the end of her blonde hair strand, she answered slowly, “Don’t get mad at me…but there’s this guy that reminds me a lot like you. Plus, you seem like you need something to focus on other than your academics and stuff like that.”

I heaved a sigh, running a hand down my face. “So you’re asking me to go to a party so you could hook me up with some guy you met?”

She shrugged. “Pretty much; I told you not to get mad though.”

“What was the whole point of asking if I’m a people person?”

“I don’t know.”

“Unbelievable,” I sighed humorously. “It’s like you’re saying that I don’t have a life without a boyfriend.”

She shook her head vehemently. “Oh, no, no, no, that’s not what I mean! I know you’re capable on your own and all, but you’ve never really been in a relationship before, right?”

“So because I’m lonely and maybe forever alone, you feel you should hook me up with some guy that I haven’t ever met?” Again, she shook her head vehemently.

“That’s not what I”—

I laughed, calming her anxiety. “It’s just fine, Lily. Well, not really with the whole meeting up and getting together with some stranger; but as long as it’ll calm your nerves, then all right.”

Lily broke into a smile, pulling me into a big hug of relief. “Okay good, because I already told him that I’d introduce you to him.” I sighed; she pulled away. “Really, just get to know him.”

“Yeah, yeah, I already agreed,” I teased. “So it’s tonight, right?” She nodded. “Okay, I’ll be there.”

Lily gave another nod as she practically skipped out my front porch and into her car, calling out to me, “Wear something pretty!” before she drove off.

The time was 6:25 and I had exactly an hour and thirty-five minutes to just get ready. First off though, I had to inform Emmett so I rushed upstairs to his room at the end of the hall across from mine. When I walked in, he was doing his usual workout in just his gym shorts. He was in the middle of doing pushups when I told him, “Emmett, I need to ask your permission of something.” Yeah, if I’m going to ask him to go to a party, I use a more formal, polite manner of tone—in case you haven’t noticed.