~ Chapter 1 ~

"Why don't you change into this, Kyoko? Those clothes look tattered and pretty uncomfortable," the man said, holding up a shrine maiden outfit towards his new familiar.

Kyoko was leaning on the doorframe, staring out into space for a few seconds before glancing over to Takehiko, the man that stood before her. She stared at him for about a minute before looking at the outfit. Takehiko asks "Yes? Or no?" She didn't respond, she just stood up and took the outfit from his hands.

She walked into another room to change.

Five minutes later...

Takehiko said "I wonder what's taking her so long. Aurora, Akari, can you go check up on her?"

A black cat-like creature asks, scared "W-Why d-d-d-do w-we h-h-have t-to? W-What if she tries to k-k-kill u-us?"

"She won't, Aurora," Takehiko said firmly.

A red cat-like creature said "Yeah! And if she does, she'll regret it! It's not like she can anyway, we're willow wisps after all!"

Aurora looked at her willow wisp partner, feeling a bit braver. "Y-yeah! Y-You're right, Akari! Let's go!"

The two cat creatures flew into the room. It was silent for a few seconds before a scream was heard, and a yell "What the hell did you do?" the voice sounded much like Akari.

Takehiko sweat-dropped "Is everything alright in there?"

Rumbles and crashing was heard on the other side of the door, before it turned eerily silent. "Uh, guys?" Takehiko asks. "I'm going to open the door," he hesitantly places his hand on the doorknob before sliding it open.

His eyes widen slightly as he saw Kyoko in a shrine maiden outfit, her back facing him. She was about to tie her hair into a loose ponytail with a ribbon when Takehiko had opened the door. She looked at him at the corner of her eyes for a second before facing her front again, resuming to tie her hair like he wasn't there. Once she was finished, she turned around to face Takehiko. She was wearing her shrine maiden outfit, with a few extra things. On the right side of her waist, there was two sheaths with hilts sticking out of them, ready to be in use. Since her hair was loosely tied into a ponytail, a few strands were dangling in front of her face, framing it quite nicely.

Takehiko smiled, "That looks great on you, by the way, what happened to Aurora and Akari?"

She blinked a few times, before asking "Do you mean those weird cat creatures?"

Takehiko nodded, sweat-dropping. I introduced you to them earlier... I guess she already forgot. She replied "They flew out of that window after helping me put on these clothes," she pointed over to the window that was open.

"I see..."

A few seconds later, the two cat creatures came flying in. Akari yelled "Alright, Kyoko! Time to get to work!"

Kyoko found herself doing work that familiar's do.

It was my first day as the Forest God's familiar, and I was told to do some work by the weird cat creatures. I didn't complain, I did as I was told. I wasn't bothered by it, nor did I have any real opinions on doing work. Like life was life, work was just work in my opinion. Although, my views on life was starting to change.

She weeded the garden, trimmed the branches, cleaned the shrine, sweep the grounds and many other things that most people would consider as chores than anything else. Takehiko was drinking tea at the wooden boards, his legs crossed as he watched his familiar work. I have a feeling she's going to fit right in. Although, I do question her personality sometimes. I have a feeling things are going to get noisy, Takehiko thought. Just as he predicted, it did.

"No no no! That's not how you do it, Kyoko! You do it like this!" Akari yelled, showing Kyoko how to weed the garden's properly.

After watching her do all the weeding, Kyoko decided to go onto the next job. It only took Akari a few minutes to realise that she just did Kyoko's job. "Kyoko! How could you make me do all the work?"

"You were showing me how to weed. And you looked like you were having fun, I couldn't just interrupt you," Kyoko said, raking the leaves.

Akari fumed, flying off somewhere to cool off. Aurora just watched with Takehiko, drinking tea also. Aurora commented "I-I guess she i-isn't as s-s-scary as I thought she was."

Takehiko said "Just go to show that appearance doesn't matter. And how she seems now, she seems like a sweet girl that couldn't harm a fly—"

"Pedophile," Kyoko stated, making Takehiko freeze.

"Where did you learn that term, Kyoko?" Takehiko half-yelled.

She shrugged and continued to work, ignoring Takehiko's lecture. Instead, she just continued to say the words "Pedophile," interrupting one of his speeches every single time.

Takehiko soon couldn't take it anymore and began sulking in the corner while Kyoko continued to do her work as the two cats tried to cheer the Forest God up.

It wasn't long before she had finished her work on the shrine, it was practically shining in beauty. Takehiko chuckled as he saw his home was shining, "Good work, Kyoko. You'll be a great familiar."

"Idiot," Kyoko just said, walking into the shrine.

Takehiko started sulking again. Kyoko smiled to herself as she entered her room. I wonder... What this feeling is?

As emotionless as I looked, I was pretty much emotionless. I was always alone, even when I was young. My father and mother had left me, leaving me to defend for myself for most of my life. I didn't get to feel the love of a parent or from anyone really - I have no idea if they are dead or alive, and honestly, I didn't really care. I wasn't a very social person either, not that I should be. I spent most of my life killing people after all, it was rare for anyone to squeak anything more than a scream from their throats. However, it wasn't long before I realised what that feeling was.

She clenched her fist slightly over her chest, and murmured to herself "So, this is what it's like to be happy," she sat down on her futon. "I can't say I don't like the feeling."