~ Chapter 11 ~

Kyoko stared at the shrine she calls her home. They had just arrived from the Yearly God's Summit, and everyone seemed to be normal within the shrine household. "Is something wrong, Kyoko?" Takehiko asks, noticing her absentmindedness.

Kyoko shook her head, staying silent for a few seconds before asking "What's the name of this shrine, Takehiko?"

He was silent for quite some time before sighing. "It's Shinrin. Shinrin shrine. What's with the sudden interest?" she only shook her head.

"I just felt obliged to know the place I'll be staying at for my life. It occurred to me at the Summit that I didn't know the shrine's name that I was tending and caring for," and she walked inside.

Forest, huh? What an appropriate name for the Shrine that hosts the Forest God.

Kyoko sat on the rooftop of the shrine, waiting for the return of her Master who had gone off to buy some food. God's need to eat, so of course he had to go shopping. Hours past and he still hadn't arrived yet. Kyoko frowned, what's going on? He should have arrived by now. She stood up on the roof, looking around for any signs of the troublesome God.

Deciding that he was taking way too long, she began searching for Takehiko. She ran through the village, easily going unnoticed by the citizens of the village as they are too busy dealing with their own lives.

Her eyes darted everywhere, looking for any signs of the God, but alas, she found none. Until, her eyes landed on something red on the dirt pathway. She immediately bolted over, her eyes filled with shock at the sight before her.

Takehiko was on the ground, wounds covering his body and blood gushing out from his injuries. His eyes were lifeless. She quickly checked his pulse, luckily, he was still alive. From what she could tell, he hadn't been like that for too long so there was a chance he could live. Everyone around her just kept moving, as if they didn't see him or could care less about his life. Most likely the latter. Tch, sometimes, humans are more heartless than I am. She picked up the lifeless God bridal style and jumped off, going unnoticed by the humans.

She arrived at the shrine, and said "Akari, Aurora," they come flying to have a look of horror on the faces as they saw the state of their lord.

"Lord Takehiko!" Akari shouted in worry. "What did you do to him?"

Kyoko only shook her head, "Herbs. Now. His room," was all she said as she walked into the shrine to treat the God before it was too late.

Takehiko opened his eyes. What happened? A flash of blood and gore went through his mind, making him jolt upright. He regretted that movement greatly as his wounds opened up again and pain surged through his body. "Idiot," he looked over to see Kyoko, who was holding a basket of herbs. She looked pretty mad despite having an emotionless expression. "I treated your wounds and you decide to reopen it, what a waste of time."

She closed the door behind her, and sat down next to him. She began to split the herbs into their respective plant family tree. Takehiko watched her, before asking "You were the one that took care of me?" She just nodded absentmindedly, not saying anything. "Are you mad or at me or something?" She just shook her head.

She narrowed her eyes as she looked at the plant in her hand. "No, not really. To be honest, your life doesn't really mean much to me. However, you are my... Master, so it is my job to protect and take care of you," although it sounds like she was being a tsundere, Takehiko knew that she was speaking from the heart, she really didn't care about his wellbeing.

This information really didn't bother him that much, she was still in the phase of understanding people and feelings. To add, she's never really had to care for anyone so it was a no brainer that she doesn't care for him. "I see... I didn't know you knew about herbs and stuff," he said, diverting the question away from himself.

"I needed to know about healing herbs, I'm sure you know that. I was a fighter, no telling how many injuries I got from fighting yokais that were strong as me if not stronger," she said. "If I wanted to survive, I had to learn about healing herbs and treatment for injuries. If not, I would be dead."

"Stronger than you?" Takehiko said, slightly surprise.

She nodded but didn't say anything, returning her focus to the herbs again. However, her voice echoed as Takehiko attempted to get out of his bed. "Back. In. Bed. Now," she growled.

Takehiko was taken aback by her words and the strictness in it. "I'm fine, Kyoko, this is nothing—"

"Don't lie," she stated, her eyes narrowing as if it was piercing through Takehiko's soul. She said calmly "Just because you are a god, doesn't mean you can't die. You can die like anyone else, and if you don't take proper care of yourself, I assure you, you'll be dead before long."

I thought she wasn't worried about me or even cared about my health. So why? Takehiko thought to himself. "Tch, if you think I'm doing it because I don't. This is simply repayment for what you've done," she said, sorting through the herbs. "Besides, I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if I let you die. I have a job now, and that is to protect. That includes you, Takehiko. So, I don't plan on letting you die anytime soon."

She's starting to learn, isn't she? Takehiko thought to himself, slightly smiling. When I said her job was to protect humans, I didn't just mean them, I meant everyone that isn't a threat to humankind. Gods, familiars, humans and even yokai alike if they have a good heart. She's understanding what I meant.

"You know," she said, looking at him with a raised eyebrow. "You keep smiling to yourself like that, I'll be forced to think that you have gone crazy and need to be executed," Takehiko started sulking again. "Stop sulking and lay down, you're not fully healed yet."

"How long have i been unconscious for?"

Kyoko thinks about it, "About 3 days at least. I don't pay attention to how the day rolls since I don't sleep."

"Then you should sle—Never mind," he said, remembering what she said at the Summit about sleeping.

"Just get to sleep. Leave the shrine to me. We can talk about what happened to you after you are healed up," she said, finishing off sorting the herbs and leaving it for Takehiko to use. "And since you're awake, you can take care of yourself," and she left the room while Takehiko whined.

She sighs as she hears the God whines, "Some god he is, but now," her eyes darken. "It's best I figure out what happened early before any more bad things happen. And once I found him," she extended her claws, bloodlust leaking out everywhere. "He'll be losing a head."