~ Chapter 5 ~

Kyoko's brow twitched as she looked at the job list in front of her, before glancing at Takehiko. He was flicking through the pages of things that the Forest God had to do. Kyoko sighed, and looked at the papers before flicking through them. What kind of job are these? She thought to herself, reading the documents. Weeding the garden, healing the broken tree in the middle of the field outside of the village, prettify the grass? They're more like chores. Is this really what God's do on the Summit? Sorta pathetic in my opinion. Well, at least there are a few yokai related ones...

She sort the papers out between non-power and power typed jobs. After sorting out those, she began sorting out the power typed jobs into between wind power and God power typed jobs. Afterwards, she took the wind power typed jobs and was about to go on a job, however, life had other plans. "Wait! You're not going anywhere, yokai!"

She peered over to see Raija, who was stomping over to her. "Do you need something, familiar? I have jobs to do."

"I'm not letting you go on jobs on your own! That's too dangerous!" Raija shouted.

Kyoko raised an eyebrow, and queried "Why's that?"

"Because! A yokai like you could end up hurting someone! You're an inexperienced familiar! You could end up hurting someone by accident!" Raija said. "Not to mention, you don't even know the first rule of being a familiar."

Kyoko pointed out calmly "Just because I'm a yokai, does not mean I'm stupid enough to hurt someone I'm suppose to protect. I'm trustworthy enough to go on my own."

"No, you're not!"

"You're pretty persistent, aren't you?" She sighs. "Why don't you just come with me to keep watch?"

"Huh?"

"I'm going to go whether you like it or not, so it's your choice if you want to come with me," she said before walking off to the exit.

Raija said "What the? Oi, come back here!" He ran after her, going through the exit door.

Takehiko just chuckled as he watched, "Kyoko knows how to brew up trouble."

"Shouldn't you be keeping an eye on her? You're just going to let her go loose everywhere?" A woman said, staring down at him.

Takehiko said, sorting out the paper "Of course. I trust her. She's very loyal, it's part of the pledge isn't it? If I wasn't sure she was loyal, then I wouldn't have formed a contract with her. She's perfectly trustworthy, besides, her swords are chained up - she won't be able to hurt anyone human."

Kyoko kneed the yokai in the stomach, kicking it into the air and letting Raija have the last blow on it. The yokai disappeared into the abyss, dead. Kyoko began walking off again, "Oi! Wait up!" Raija shouted, following after her. "Stop leaving me behind!"

Kyoko shrugged, not even turning around to face him. Her eyes were glued onto the job request in her hand. Raija sighed, and asks "What's the next job?"

Instead of telling him, she just passed the paper to him, ready to fly off. "Oi!" He said, quickly grabbing onto her before she could fly.

"What?" She asks.

He said "You're being awfully quiet unlike before."

"I just don't feel like talking - Takehiko calls me antisocial and only speaks when I feel like insulting someone," he sweat-dropped.

That is sorta true... He thought to himself before shaking off the thought. "Whatever. Let's just get going."

"That was what I was going to do, but someone stopped me," she sighs. "Let's just go," and she grabbed onto his wrist, wind surrounded them viciously and they disappeared.

The black-haired girl's eyes flickered slightly as Raija's head was about to be chopped off. She grabbed onto Raija's wrist, pulling him down just in time to dodge the yokai's attack. Kyoko tossed him onto her back, wind surrounding her viciously and ready to attack. Raija was injured badly, covered in scratches and a few deep gashes. The yokai slashed forwards with its claws, smiling maniacally. Kyoko dodged, the yokai missing by a hair, literally. She dodged another attack, and kicked the yokai in the gut before plunging her own claws into the yokai's stomach. She pulled out some intestines and organs. "So, that's the famous Rogue Hunter. I must say, you are a mighty foe," the yokai grinned weakly. "But you're not as strong as the master," and he disappeared like every other yokai.

Kyoko stared at her bloodied hand, and said "Another mess to clean up. Oi, Raija."

"What?"

She asks "Are you alright?"

Raija was shocked that she was worried about him. He replied, slightly embarrassed "Yeah... I'm fine... Just a few scratches, nothing much."

"That's good. I didn't want to be the one to clean your wounds," she sighs. "But it shows you can't underestimate your enemies know matter how strong you think you are. Keep that in mind before you decide to jump into battle without a battle plan."

Did she just.... Raija thought, looking at her with shocked and confused eyes. "Let's just get going," was all she said as wind surrounded them and once more, they disappeared.

Five more days left before the Summit is over.