~ Chapter 17 ~

Someone asked me what I wanted to be. I answered 'I wanted to be but anything.' I don't really remember why I created that wish - but I believe it had to do something about those sins I committed.

As far as I knew, I should've felt guilty, regret or at least a bit of remorse for the people I killed. However, it wasn't the case for me, I didn't feel anything. It was because I didn't feel anything, that I created that wish. I believe I wanted to have a place where I didn't exist, where no one would find me, where no one but I knew where I was. That way, I wouldn't have to remember the guilt I should've felt but never did. I wouldn't have a constant reminder of that. I would've been nothing.

If I died now, then my wish would be granted. I wouldn't have to return to this human world, I would stay in the underworld where only yokai exist. I would be nothing. No one would remember me, I wouldn't remember myself, everyone would be fine if I died.

"Idiot! What do you think you're doing? You think you can just die and give up now? Huh? You have a job to do, don't you? You think dying is going to help you?"

Funny, I'm arguing with myself at the moment. I'm even calling myself an idiot.

"Well, duh! You are an idiot! You want to put what little pride of yours to shamble? Do you? Because I'm sure you wouldn't! You accepted a job, and you're going to complete it! You are not giving up halfway just because you want your wish to be granted! You have a village to protect, a shrine to protect, you have a Master to protect, you're just going to give up now?"

I stayed silent.

"Wow, I thought I was better than that. You are such a disappointment."

Oddly enough, I felt sad when I heard those words coming from myself. I suppose I am a disappointment.

"Life is a precious thing, once you lose it, you can never get it back."

That was what that guy said before I killed him...

"For a yokai, you're absolutely pathetic."

I'm starting to see why....

"My life for the town's, huh? I think I can do that. Is that my purpose now?"

I said those words. My life for the town's... It has a ring to it.

"Yeah, you said those words! And look what you're doing right now, just sitting around doing nothing. You're letting that town you swore to protect down because you want to grant that wish of yours!"

I am... I suppose I am...

"For a yokai, you're absolutely pathetic."

That guy's right. I am pathetic.

"Someone asked me what I wanted to be. I answered that I wanted to be but anything," Kyoko said as Hideyoshi lifted her up from the ground.

Hideyoshi raised an eyebrow, "So what?"

"My wish was defied yet granted. Instead of becoming nothing, I became something," she grabbed onto the wrist that was connected to the hand holding her up and squeezed it hard.

I've found my conclusion.

"My job is to protect this village."

I won't die just because I want to or I can.

"I won't give up ever again even if I'm on the verge of death."

So...

"So, I will defeat you here and now."

I'm not alone anymore.

"I won't fight you on my own either."

I have friends now, if I can even consider them as.

"What nonsense are you talking about?" Hideyoshi said. "Who's going to fight with you? You're all alone. Everyone wants you dead."

A smirk came across Kyoko's lips, and she said "And that's where you're wrong. If I can't beat you on my own, then I'll fight with two heads. Takehiko, prepare yourself," a look of shock came across Takehiko's face before he smiled.

"On it."

Kyoko's eyes gleamed and she twisted Hideyoshi's arm, making him drop you as you throw him towards a random tree. Hideyoshi got up, growling as he goes for an attack at Kyoko. However, before he could, Takehiko intervened and began fighting Hideyoshi instead, using his spear.

Meanwhile, Kyoko had ran off to get her swords. She picked them up and did a U turn towards Hideyoshi.

Takehiko quickly moved out the way and Kyoko slashed upwards at Hideyoshi, successfully landing a hit on him. He growled and jumped away, touching the blood that gushed out from his fresh wound. "What the..."

Kyoko ran towards Hideyoshi, wind surrounding her viciously. She slashed towards Hideyoshi, who got ready to block. However, just as she was about to make contact, she disappeared. He had a look of confusion before feeling a stinging pain in his back, he looked behind him to see Kyoko had slashed his back and stabbed his stomach. He tried pulling away, but Kyoko kept her sword planted in his stomach.

Takehiko was preparing the ultimate that were fatal to yokais, and probably enough to kill him. Takehiko's spear glowed a bright gold colour, his god powers focused into his weapon. Purify. Was his last thoughts as he slashed upwards, a bright gold slash making it's way towards Kyoko and Hideyoshi. Just as it was about to hit, Kyoko pulled out her sword and dodged at the last second. Just dodging the attack while Hideyoshi got hit.

The attack disappeared to show Hideyoshi on the ground, steam coming out of his body. His eyes were open, "Not too bad. My friends."

"When did I become your friend?" Kyoko stated coldly.

The man laughed evilly, "You are so cold and honest, but that's what makes you heartless," Kyoko's eyes darken. "You did good this time, but I promise you," he began to disappear. "I'll come back for you, and next time. I'll be the winner," and he was gone.

Kyoko sighed and coughed up more blood. Whoops, I forgot that I was poisoned. Damn. She collapsed onto the ground.

"Kyoko! Kyoko!"

Her whole world turned black.