Chapter One

- Ending Of Human Wreckage -

I carried the newly finished drawing inside and pinned it on the wall above my bed, curling into my sheets. I pulled the blankets tighter around my shivering body studying the artwork.

It was of a single man who stood alone, disaster occurring behind him as fires licked the familiar city. His eyes were filled with anger, pain, and grief... but he didn't cry. No... instead, he stood tall. He was brave, I decided. He was a god in my eyes... a hero... a warrior it seemed like. He stood there in his black marching band uniform, dust and ash tainting it. The flames reflected on his short cut hair. He stared coldly at anyone who dared look in his direction.

I fell asleep wondering why I had drawn it in the first place. I've never drawn anything like this before. Things like this weren't allowed in Battery City.

I reached my arm over to one of the prescription bottles on my nightstand and took my third dose of the day as usual, chugging back the horrid black liquid.

Tomorrow, I will dispose of the picture, I decided.

As I fell asleep, the sound of the wind whispered in my ear, "The Black Parade is dead."

...

- Present -

Bellamy's P.O.V

School had just let out for the day.

I couldn't even enjoy it; I would have to dedicate the rest of the night to writing an essay regarding 'The Tunnel System Of Battery City'.

What kind of bullshit is that?

Not in the mood for pleasantries, I took to the back allies of the city to get home.

It wasn't exactly known as the safest place, but I took the route on occasion with no further bad experiences.

It occurred to me that every corner I turned, every trash can I passed next to someone's back door in the alley- there always seemed to be a Better Living Industries sign plastered to an object. 

You could never escape them, they were always watching.

"They keep us safe," My mother once told me when I questioned it; "They protect us and provide us with good lives. Now take your medicine while I make breakfast."

Ugh medicine.

Every citizen in Battery City was required to take a dose of medicine once a day in the morning; except for me.

I had to take this disgusting  medicine every morning, every afternoon, and every night.

Supposedly it kept us from contracting severe illnesses and from experiencing unpleasant things such as 'dreams'.

But I've had what I believe to be dreams.

They've slowed down with time but I still get them on occasion.

But sometimes my head just starts to hurt so much that it brings me to tears. Everyone swears that I fake it.  My medicine was supposed to stop all of the pain and dreams but it hadn't done much good for me until I was placed on something different. The Director personally handed it over to me.

It feels like there's something in the back of my mind, clawing and scratching, trying to surface. I try so hard, reaching a mental hand out to help pull it out but every time I do, it gets stuck. It's like when you forget something and you try your best to remember it but it just won't come to you.

The rest of the world is blown to shreds. It's nothing but a pile of ashes and dust. Buildings toppled over, visible fire marks that once scorched anyone who was in its path. And supposedly it was all from the enemies but who was I to make assumptions? I needed more proof besides what I was told in a textbook.

I shook my head once more, taking my mind off of the topic to stop any further harm.

 Looking around in all directions, I made sure no one was around before I started to sing softly under my breath. Music isn't allowed in Battery City. It's one of the many forbidden things. 

One night, during my dreams, an enchanting figure had sang the words to me.

They bounce around my mind to this day, something the medicine could never cure.

"When I was a young boy, my father took me into the city to see a marching band. He said, 'Son when you grow up, would you be the savior of the broken, the beaten and the damned?' He said, 'Will you defeat them? Your demons, and all the non-believers, the plans that they have made? Because-"

I stopped, my voice catching in my throat and my feet stopping in their tracks as a loud noise caught my attention. I looked around nervously, "Hello?" I called out. Slowly, I turned and kept walking towards my destination cautiously, looking around and eyeing every shadow before continuing my forbidden under the breath singing.

"-one day I'll leave you a phantom to lead you in the summer, to join The Black Parade."

I groaned loudly as the pain in my head began to ache and throb. There was a pressure inside my head, like something was pushing on my skull from the inside. I was either going to vomit or explode. 

I needed my medicine; the thought hit me like a brick.

I needed to get home as soon as possible.

Readjusting my messenger bag, I hurried along the winding path of the alleyways, putting a hand to my throbbing head. Scurrying footsteps sounded behind me, like something was following me. But then it moved ahead and in front of me, "Follow me," the voice whispered.

 I looked around frantically, placing my other hand to the brick wall to my right, steadying myself.

I squinted my eyes, I recognized that voice from when I was about to fall asleep last night after I drew that man.

The footsteps grew faster as I jogged to keep up with the sound, mentally scolding myself. It was probably just a rodent of sorts....that ya know....talks?

 As I approached the corner, whatever it was ran down another alley across the street. I looked both ways and then raced towards the sound of static buzzing through my ears and then-

"Look alive sunshine. 109 in the sky, but the pigs won't quit. You're here with me, Dr. Death Defying. I'll be your surgeon, your proctor, your helicopter. Bumpin' out the slaughter-matic sounds to keep you alive. A system failure for the masses, antimatter for the master plan! Louder than god's revolver and twice as shiny. This one's for all you Rock 'n' Rollers. All you Crash-Queens and Motor Babies! Listen up! The future is bulletproof! The aftermath is secondary! It's time to do it now and do it loud! Killjoys... Make some noise!"

In front of me sat an old radio. Crouching down next to it, I ran my fingers over every square inch of the beaten in and rusting device. It was absolutely incredible. Real music from a real music player!

 "They need you," a small voice spoke up, making me jump back, retrieving my hand from the radio.

A mini skeleton marched out from behind the radio which had once again turned to static, just like from my dream...