Chapter 25

Dawn's P.O.V

I wiped my sweaty palms on the outside of my thighs, the liquid rubbing onto my jeans. I bent over trying to catch my breath. It was a never ending whiteness that nearly blinded me. I ran around, praying for a way out or to accidently run into a portal… or a wall. Anything!

I collapsed onto my knees, shaking, I was too exhausted to carry on.

Carry on.

We’ll carry on.

I looked up, gasping in realization, clicking the puzzle pieces in my head together. Every time I sang Gerard’s song, ‘Welcome To The Black Parade’, something that was somehow connected to the parade occurred. I sang the song and the skeleton showed up out of nowhere, helping to get my memory back. I sang it before I fell into unconsciousness in the hospital room and I was brought back to what remained of The Black Parade.

I slowly pushed myself back to my feet, looking around at the nothingness that I was stuck in. So if singing ‘Welcome To The Black Parade’ brought me back to the parade, then how was I supposed to get back to the Killjoys?

There’s a song, I realized. I have to sing the song: the song that the Killjoys sang along with Dr. Death. I hesitated, opening my mouth only to shut it, biting on my lip. God if this doesn’t work I’m going to feel and look like a complete idiot.

It was better than being stuck here. It was worth a shot… I nodded, opening my mouth and singing:

“Drugs, gimme drugs, gimme drugs

I don’t need it, but I’ll sell what you got

Take the cash and I’ll keep it

Eight legs to the wall

Hit the gas, kill them all

And we crawl, and we crawl, and we crawl

You be my denonator!

Love, gimme love, gimme love-“

I sang, starting to get into the song. I always chuckled at how the Killjoys sang this song, smiles on their faces jamming out to the music. Now I understood why- it lightened the mood. They knew that any day they were at risk for losing the things that meant the most to them.

As I continued to sing, the throbbing pain started at the lower back of my head, near my neck and started spreading to the front. I dropped to my knees, clutching my head. Not wanting to give, up I forced the rest of lyrics through gritted teeth.

“I don't need it, but I'll take what I want from your heart

And I'll keep it in a bag, in a box

Put an X on the floor

Gimme more, gimme more, gimme more

Shut up and sing it with me!

Na Na Na Na Na Na-“

Gerard’s P.O.V

I kept whispering pointless things to Mikey. I was just rambling so that he wouldn’t lose hope and win to the demon inside. I talked about when I had scored a comic book from an abandoned hideout and how I had the weirdest dream the night before. Anything to keep him going.

 It seemed to work, however, because every once in awhile, my witty comments to my own stories made him chuckle. When we got out of the vents, I jumped out first, “C’mon,” I said, helping him down. He grunted a ‘thanks’ as I lead him to the awaiting Trans-Am. Frank shot me a confused and worried look as soon as he saw Mikey, “He’s fighting for control,” I explained, “Let’s get out of here guys.”

We pulled up to the diner, the Killjoys eventually started to clean up once everyone got situated. I slid my hands underneath Dawn, lifting her in my arms and placing her in a booth. Frank took care of Mikey and Adele helped Ray into another booth, “Put them in separate booths.”

After everyone was settled, we had a drink of water, exhausted from our rescue mission, “You might wanna go wash up Gerard,” Frank suggested, swinging his dangling short legs like a little kid.

They did as told then joined Electric sitting on the counter chugging down water.

“Don’t blow the place up in the few minutes that I’m gone,” I chuckled, only half joking. He laughed uneasily. I smirked as I made my way to the bathroom, shutting the door behind me.

I turned the faucet on, taking my gloves off, cupping my hands together to fill them up with the cool water. I splashed it on my face, and meeting my own eyes in the mirror. I studied what damage Repleh had done to my face, it wasn’t too bad.

I poked the bruise coming up on my cheek when I heard a scream coming from the other room.