Chapter 27

Dawn's P.O.V

I shifted my position in the booth as I snuggled closer to Gerard’s chest. He smiled, kissing my forehead. Adele and Electric had gone to sleep in one of the other bedrooms in the back while Gerard and I stayed up to keep an eye on Ray and Mikey who still hadn’t woken up yet.

After all that had happened, there was no way I was leaving his side just in case they were still a vamp. We sat there in a comfortable silence that night… well, silent except for Frank’s snored from his spot passed out in one of the open booths across the room.

“So… you going to tell me that long story now?” Gerard whispered, wrapping his arms around my waist.

“Mmm… I guess.”

He straightened up, looking me in the eyes. He seemed pretty excited about my bedtime story.

“Well… it all started when you left me here with Frank. The vamps found the diner and we got chased through the back window and to the escape car,” I smiled, remembering the spray painted ‘Fab Four’ on the hood, “Frank and I were driving through the mountain when they shot our tires. He told me to jump out so I did when he counted to three but… he didn’t jump either and there was no way the vamps saw me jump.”

Gerard was now rubbing small circles on the small of my back, distracting me a little, “The vamps were catching up to him and I ran back up the hill and caused a distraction as he stopped staring in shock. It was me they wanted after all. I remembered…” I swallowed back tears, “…I remembered when they hooked him up and changed him, and then Mikey… and then they came for me.”

I apparently paused for awhile because he asked, “What’d you do?”

I nodded, “I… I did the only thing I could. I sang. Somehow, I ended up at The Black Parade and I met your phantom.”

There was a sad look that flashed across his face, “How was he?”

“He wasn’t anything like you and never could be…” I paused, “Why didn’t you tell me the parade wasn’t dead?”

I rubbed gentle circles into either side of his neck with both of my thumbs, “All the members who are now Killjoys will figure it out for themselves sooner or later. That’s just the way it has to be. When everything becomes too dark, the song with play in their minds and they’ll know.”

I sighed, “You still have to finish,” he pouted, poking my cheek. I pretended to bite it as he chuckled, looking sweetly in my eyes which I rolled but continued on anyway.

“Well… your phantom explained everything to me. I asked him how I could get back and he wasn’t much help. He just said that the dead couldn’t leave and the dead couldn’t come in either… but I wasn’t dead… that’s what he told me at least. I took my chances and ran through the portal anyway and God did it fucking hurt,” I recalled, rubbing my head.

I shook my head, remembering how bright everything had been, “It was miles and miles of complete and utter nothingness. I felt like I was trapped in my own head. I was so afraid that I was stuck there I almost completely shut down but I thought of you and what your phantom had said and realized that every time I sang that song, something that related to The Black Parade happened.”

“Mhmm…”

“So, I thought of a song that could get me back to you and I sang it and well… here I am,” I smiled, looking up at him.

He grinned before leaning in. I let out a small breath, leaning in as well. Our lips brushed against each other but quickly pulled apart, eyes wide as someone shouted through the darkness, “Ewwww!”

“Frank, you little shit! Go back to sleep!” Gerard huffed, throwing a bouncy ball in Frank’s direction. He let out a small ‘oof’, signaling that it had hit him.

Frank chuckled as he shuffled into his room, sticking his tongue out at us on his way there, “Now where we were?” Gerard breathed, catching his breath and turning back to me. I grinned, biting my lip, crashing my lips onto his.

“Ewwww!”

“God damn it Fran- Oh…” Gerard stopped.

Ray was staring at us wide eyed, “I mean, it’s bad enough that I was forced into being a short lived vamp being electrocuted and all but now I have to wake up to this?!”

By the time the blazing fire ball known as the sun raised over the desert of Battery Park City, Mikey had also woken up, immediately catching Gerard in a hug repeating how sorry he was.