Chapter Four

Bellamy's P.O.V

I was woken by the annoying sound of my annoying ass alarm clock. 

The fucking buzz ringing in my ear every second until I gave in and slammed my hand blindly at the button, muttering a not so nice fuck you to the device.

"Good morning, Dawn," a small voice yawned. I opened my eyes to see Cornelius curled up on the pillow, resting right next to my head.

I frowned, "Yeah, this is all still pretty weird, do you mind just calling my Bella for now?"

"Yeah, no problem," he smiled half-heartedly.

I nodded, unable to form words as a sudden pressure in my head forced my eyes closed.

...

When I opened my eyes that next morning I'm assuming, I saw his sleeping face... that Gerard Way guy was centimeters from my face. We were so close to each other. She smiled, biting her lip like a lovesick school girl. I felt the cool metal in her lip- she had a lip ring. Does that mean I have a scar from it? She leaned forward and kissed his lips. His eyes fluttered open and I gasped on the inside, a crooked grin spreading on his features. I felt her die inside a little... I raised my eyebrows; I might've just died as well.

She thought he was perfect and for once, I actually looked through her eyes. He was perfect. I felt her mood drag me down as she went from light and happy emotion to a dark one. She felt like she didn't deserve him? He was too perfect to be real and she was just a loser with a sad heart. The feeling faded as she brushed her fingers against his cool cheek... making sure he was real, I guess. He pressed a kiss to her palm.

...

I sat straight up in bed, disoriented.

Cornelius was staring at me intently with his hollow black eyes, "What did you remember?" He asked thoughtfully.

"Waking up next to that man," I whispered, looking up to the drawing, "Waking up next to... Gerard."

He studied my face for a while longer, "Are you alright?"

"Yes. No... I don't- it's just... witnessing these things with her and him being there... and yet I have no clue who he is or what he meant to her- me. We apparently had a good relationship... but how? I still don't understand what's happening." I chewed on my lip, remembering the lip ring that Dawn had.

I held my breath, walking to the mirror on my dresser, checking my lip. There was a tiny hole for some metal to go through on the same side as Dawn.

 I let out my breath, turning towards Cornelius, "Alright..." I said, taking on a more serious and brave tone, "What do I do?"

"It's your choice."

I pondered his response for a moment. 

I have a choice? He's giving me a choice.

"He needs you Da- Bella. The Director is dangerous. She has been messing with your head. Given you a false life. That's why you get headaches. The medicine is supposed to repress the memories; The real memories."

I slowly returned to sit on my bed, eyeing the drawing pinned to my wall.

"What about my mom?"

Cornelius looked away.

"Hey. What about my mom? Is she in on this? Everyone takes the medicine. Is she in danger?"

Silence fell over the room.

"She....you'll remember. The pills should leave your system now that you've stopped taking them. The memories will start coming back."

I was frustrated, that didn't answer the question.

Another thought struck me, "But... how do I find him?" I asked, running a hand through my sleepy, tangled mess that I call hair.

"Well... he survived the attack. He's alive," the skeleton said helpfully, trying to steer my line of thinking on the right track.

I nodded, catching his words, "Alive... okay. Alright, so um...what attack? What happened? There was those transporter thingys..."

"Portals," Cornelius helped, cheerful that I was finally understanding something.

 "The... parade..."

"You remember the parade!" He beamed.

As soon as he had said that, images and memories of the parade flashed across my vision, threatening to put me under another one of those god awful dream things, "What did you see?"

Surprised that he even knew that I had been seeing anything at all kind of scared me, "How did you know I saw something?"

"Well... every time that you're about to go under, there's this kind of light that shines in your eyes. Like, one moment your eyes are blue and then the entire thing flashes gold and then goes back to blue."

"Great..." I muttered, "Anyways... so, The Black Parade, is it?" The words slipping off of my tongue like lyrics from a joyful and yet sad song, "... it's dead. He wouldn't be in Battery City, that's too dangerous if it has anything to do with the Director."

Cornelius nodded eagerly.

"But isn't the world beyond Battery City dangerous? Destroyed? They tell us it's a waste land filled with crazy people who want to harm us."

"Yes, the world outside the walls of Battery City are very dangerous. Because the Dracs will kill you. They hunt in the zones for the people who refuse to bow to Better Living's rules. But it's not destroyed like they lead you all to believe."

"He has to be somewhere in the zones huh?"I already knew the answer.

Cornelius nodded.

"You know where he is?"

Cornelius nodded.

Well fuck.

I groaned, rubbing my eyes before looking at the drawing once more.

My heart strings pulled, butterflies filled my stomach and my eyes began to blur.

"The Zones. Alright. That's where we'll go then."

"Wait! You need to change your look first. There's no way that you'll be able to survive in the zones while wearing the uniforms from Battery City. The Killjoys will end you without a moment's hesitation. Not all of them are friendly." I slowly nodded.

This would be one hell of a story to tell if I survive this adventure.