Chapter 28

Dawn’s P.O.V

-THREE MONTHS LATER-

I groaned as more vomit crept up my throat and into the toilet. What the hell was wrong with me? I’ve been throwing up for a week and sick for nearly a month and a half. The thing is, I’m the only one who was sick- everyone else was perfectly fine.

The only thing that anyone got passed by as sick were Ray and Mikey due to their occasional headaches. But as I was in cold sweats, the world spun around me as if I was in the middle of a tornado, “Hey,” Gerard whispered, going on his knees and holding me from behind. He always looked at me with a worried and caring expression, “Don’t worry baby, we’ll figure out what’s wrong with you,” he murmured against the back of my neck.

He handed me a wipe, I cleaned off the vomit that was slightly smeared across my lips. He reached around me and flushed the toilet, turning me around in his lap as we sat like that on the floor. He kissed my forehead as I leaned into his touch, relaxing against his warm body- I was freezing and burning up at the same time.

Adele walked in the bathroom, “I think I know what’s wrong.”

“What?” Gerard looked up eagerly.

She made a fake cough sound, “Could I um… talk to her in private Gerard?” He hesitated for a moment before kissing my forehead again and disappearing to the front of the diner. Adele locked the door behind her.

“I think you’re pregnant,” she whispered, making sure no one could hear.

Me? I didn’t even consider keeping my voice down, “What?!” I stared at her wide eyed.

“I had a kid… I know the symptoms of a pregnancy,” a look of sadness flashed in her eyes but was gone just as quickly.

“Adele, that’s impossible… I’m a virgin,” I whispered, suddenly taking caution at my voice level.

She froze, rethinking her thesis, “Dawn, I think you still need to take one anyway,” she reached under the cabinet and handed one to me. I eyed it. This test would hold my future…

“I’m a virgin,” I whispered still shocked.

“I believe you, but humor me anyways and take this. Just so we can rule ‘pregnant’ off of the list of things that might be wrong with you.”

“Fine,” I said, she walked out of the door and followed after Gerard. I locked the door behind her and stared at the test.

-FIFTEEN MINUTES LATER-

“Adele?!” I called, holding the test in shaky fingers. I fought against the tears that threatened to spill.

I heard fast footsteps… no, two pairs of fast footsteps heading towards the bathroom, “Dawn let me in,” Adele said, banging on the door. I heard her say, “Gerard, no… you need to go back in the other room.”

He protested but eventually left, “Dawn…” she said quietly and gentle.

I unlocked the door, still sitting on the floor in my underwear- my pants off to the side. She relocked the door behind her giving me a sympathetic… no, empathetic look, “This is wrong. It has to be. Adele… I’ve never done it before…”I felt unwanted tears drip down my cheeks.

She pulled me into a hug, “I think Better Living did this to you. They often take the females out from being a vamp and turning them into their own birthmothers. The baby was probably meant to be a Destroya.”

 “I can’t care for this baby… What am I gonna do?”