Chapter Thirteen

Bellamy’s P.O.V

Three days had passed since I arrived at the diner. My shoulder has slowly gotten better… that’s what they thought anyway.

On the outside, the skin around the beam wound was healing and growing in. On the inside, however, the pain was slowly spreading to the rest of my arm and up my neck. For awhile there would be no pain and then out of nowhere a shot would start from my shoulder and travel through my nerves to the rest of my arm. It was like being shot all over again.

I didn’t want to tell them… but I knew that I eventually had to. No one knew what was wrong with it so Gerard made the decision to go see Dr. Death Defying to see if he had any idea.

In the car sat Gerard at the steering wheel, me in the passenger’s seat, and Adele, Frank and Ray sat in the back seats. Mikey, Electric and Cornelius had volunteered to go ahead and stay behind.

We were on our way when a couple of dracs appeared in our rearview mirrors. No one had noticed anything until a shot skimmed the metal of the Trans Am. Gerard slammed on the breaks and we all jumped out of the car, guns in hand. Everyone took different positions all around the car.

I turned to the two dracs that were running towards me. My finger easily found its way to the trigger and pulled it, shooting one of them in the chest. I turned towards the other one but he knocked the gun out of my hands.

Not this move again, I thought to myself. He looked up and we locked eyes through his mask. They were dull just like all of the other dracs but there was a curve to the outsides that made them recognizable. I hesitated, my fist never leaving the air behind my ear and he seemed to find something about me recognizable too. Using this as my chance, I kicked the gun away from him and picked it up, pointing the end at his head.

“Don’t. Move.” I snapped. He held his hands up in defense while I stepped towards him and pulled his mask from over his face.

Everything froze as I stared at him. My eyes flashing the golden color as I dropped the gun and fell to my knees, having a memory spasm on the sand at his feet.

Her phone beeped, causing her to lose her train of thought. She quickly tugged the black Batman tank top over her head, snatching her phone and opening the new message. The ID read Tori.

Tori: Good morning :3

Her lips twitched into a small smile as she pressed a few buttons, forming letters into words and words into a sentence, pressing send when she was finished.

Me: Morning Toereh! You coming today?

She waited a minute and didn’t receive a reply. She hated waiting, as I do now. Shoving the phone in her back pocket, she stared back at her reflection. It’s a mystery as of to how you even have friends, I remember the small voice that was in her- my head telling me. She swallowed, applying mascara and eyeliner to their supposed area.

She was lacing up the combat boots that I wore now when her back pocket vibrated, a new message coming from Tori.

Tori: No… Friday was my last day, remember?

Her heart dropped… I remembered this day exactly. And I remembered who he was- flashes of our time spent together came pouring back. I remembered him. Tori was my best friend. He was the only person who had made my previous life worth living and the devastated feeling felt all too real.

My best friend…

My best friend… I opened my eyes, looking up at him. I looked at him now compared to what he used to look like. Facial hair grew in along his jaw line, bags under his eyes and his hair shorter than it had been when I knew him. All of that seemed to be years ago.

“Tori…?” I whispered, staring up at him in disbelief. The Director had gotten him. He had picked up the gun I dropped and held it, aiming it at my body. His emotionless face gave away that the Director cleared his memory, brainwashing him too, “Tori… please. Please try and remember. I know you can. It’s me… It’s me…” I said, tears streaming down my face.

I thought I saw something flash in his dull eyes- a spark of recognition maybe? Or perhaps it was just my imagination. But it faded away just as quickly as it had appeared and I was left again feeling hopeless. He pulled the hammer back with his gloved thumb. His finger moving towards the trigger just as a beam hit him in the chest as he fell down, the gun slipping from his reach.

Gerard and the others rushed to my side, all of the other dracs dead, “Are you okay?” He asked.

I pushed past him, shoving his shoulder as I crawled towards the man that was once my best friend, “Tori,” I cried, pressing my forehead to his stomach.

The others behind me stayed quiet, figuring out that I knew him. I tangled my fingers in his shirt and held his head in my hand. A gentle but firm hand touched my good shoulder, making me flinch, “Bella, the person you knew was no longer in there. The Director brainwashed him. He would’ve killed you,” Gerard’s voice said.

“No! No, he hesitated before I fell. I- I saw a spark in his eyes! He remembered me! He remembered me! He wasn’t completely gone,” I sobbed, protesting against Gerard.

 “Come on,” he gestured.

“No!” I turned on him, my eyes full of hate and anger. I felt hate and anger for the Director, “No! Leave us be! He’s my best friend! I can’t just leave him here!” I screamed.

Gerard knelt down next to me, pulling me into his arms. At first I pushed him away but he only held me tighter to where I just couldn’t help but fall against him. His hand rested on the small of my back while the other stroked my head, “Shh…” he kept soothing.