ONE

E X P O S E D
C H A P T E R O N E

[ trigger warning: panic attack ]

THE Los Angeles sun beamed from high up in the clear sky. Though it was early June, when you would burn to a crisp if you were foolish enough to forget sun screen, at four thirty p.m. it was a mild day. Santa Monica Beach wasn't as busy as it could have been, though it was still busy.

Andrea Russett and her twenty one-year old sister, Veronica, had planned ahead. Before they had even come to Los Angeles, they had studied the weather report and made a very detailed itinerary for their trip. It was how they did every trip, and it all worked out perfectly every time.

This time, however, wasn't about to work out perfectly.

Andrea's breathing had picked up as soon as she had read his message. It was sent ten minutes ago, which meant he would show up in no time, with cops by his sides. She was going to be in handcuffs soon.

"Ronnie," Andrea gasped. Her ice cream cone fell to the sand and her hand flew to her heart, as if it would help control the rapid pace it was at. Her brunette sister whipped around, concern instantly crossing her face. "We need to get out of here."

"Why? What is it?" Veronica questioned, grabbing the girl's arm.

"I'm having a panic attack."

Veronica's breath hitched, but it didn't compare to Andrea, who was about to start heaving soon.

"We can't leave, Andrea, you need to sit down," Veronica urged, helping her trembling sister, who was too weak to resist, to the ground and kneeling beside her. Andrea pulled her knees to her chest, closed her eyes and tried to use her breathing exercises, however they only made chest feel even tighter and her throat feel as if it was closing up.

"Ronnie. . . Eth- Ethan's coming," Andrea choked out. Her head began to spin. What if she passed out? That would ruin the day, and probably the trip for both her and her sister.

"Now?" Veronica asked, looking around.

Andrea shook her head, an action which took more than enough energy. "Soon," she muttered.

Veronica sighed, knowing plenty about the situation with Ethan Dolan. She didn't know what him showing up meant, whether Andrea was in trouble or not, but she was going to protect her little sister no matter what.

Andrea reached for her sister's hand and squeezed it, one of her most helpful coping mechanisms that always worked. In her mind she tried to repeat it's only a panic attack. It's only a panic attack. It's only a panic attack, but my life is over. My life is over. My life is over was all she could think.

Suddenly, she was stuck in her own mind. Intoxicating, dangerous words that she couldn't escape taunted and threatened her. The world around her had disappeared. All of her senses had gone numb, and she was only left with the feeling of throwing up her insides due to panic. She was helpless, and all she could do was wait. Wait for Ethan to show up. Wait for her panic attack to end. Wait for it all to be over.

It felt like an eternity had passed, and the worst part was that Andrea knew that in fact, only a few minutes had passed.

Over the white noise, Andrea heard screaming. She could make out the sound of her sister yelling at something, or someone. It took incredible amounts of her energy to focus on the voices, and when she finally did, she didn't know whether to be confused, scared, relieved, shocked, alarmed. . .

"Do you see what you did to her? . . . You gave her a panic attack, you piece of shit! . . . You shouldn't have even thought about coming here. . . "

Andrea had never heard such violent words come out of Veronica's mouth. The girl was feisty, both of them were, but Andrea had no idea she was capable of saying such things to a stranger.

An innocent stranger, who had done no harm.

Her mind said to run and hide, but Andrea's mind was not wise. Her heart said to face him, for it was the right thing to do, and her heart won.

I see water, sand, people, sunglasses and towels. I feel sand, my hair, my t-shirt and my phone. I hear ocean waves, someone laughing and a dog barking. I smell salt and perfume. I can taste the ice cream I was eating.

Andrea's body began to function again. It was still weak and recovering, but she felt her senses, and her lungs filled with air, her throat opened up, her headache faded slightly. When her hearing had returned, Veronica's voice couldn't be any louder. Andrea winced, but forced herself to stand to her feet, something that was harder to do than if she had been carrying a tonne on her back.

"You're right. . . I'll go."

His voice, the most beautiful sound that Andrea had ever heard. She looked up from the sandy ground, her eyes setting on him standing there.

She would never forget the guilt on his face. It made her heart ache, and her breath hitched at his beauty. He was so much more perfect in person with his chiseled jawline, hazel eyes and dark brown curls swept to one side messily.

The moment his eyes landed on her was a moment Andrea never wanted to forget. Her stomach flipped as she watched his face morph from sorrow into astonishment. He froze, and although he needed to get away from Andrea quickly, he was unable to move. All he wanted was to be close to her.

"Veronica, go back to the hotel," Andrea ordered, not daring to break eye contact with Ethan.

"Are you fucking crazy?" Veronica argued.

"Veronica, please. Just trust me," Andrea said, in a tired, breathless tone, still recovering from her panicked state.

Veronica sighed, moving close to her sister to whisper in her ear, "I would tell you not to do anything stupid, but you've already done it."

This time Andrea breathed out in exasperation as her sister brushed past her and stomped off. Veronica was stubborn. Both Russett sisters were, but they had learned to deal with each other's stubbornness by simply ignoring it, although Veronica was right.

Andrea had done something pretty stupid, which was cave in and become completely vulnerable to Ethan Dolan. But the girl had not a single inch of regret in her small, weak body when she flung herself towards the boy and threw her arms around him.

He was still frozen when it happened, still in shock, and that was why it took him a while to comprehend her embrace. Then he realised that at last, after too long, she was in his arms. He hugged her as if his life depended on it, as if she would crumble away if he didn't hold her tight enough. Her face was nestled into his shirt, and his face in her dark, fresh-scented hair.

"Hi, Ethan."