TWENTY ONE

E X P O S E D
C H A P T E R T W E N T Y O N E

IT seemed like, wherever Ethan and Andrea went, awkward silence followed them as long as Veronica was there too.

She sat opposite them in a booth in a small, cosy café in the city where the sisters were regulars. Their stomachs were growling, begging them for food. Andrea and Ethan hadn't eaten food since before their flight nearly three hours ago, which meant that they were each tempted to order the entire menu.

They ignored their silly temptations, however. Ethan settled for some chocolate chip pancakes, while Andrea decided on an omelet.

Veronica's only focus didn't seem to be food; all she had ordered was coffee, meaning the only thing she wanted to do was have a well-needed conversation with her little sister and the boy her little sister was practically dating.

"I'm sorry," Veronica said all of a sudden, breaking the silence as they waited impatiently for their food. "I'm sorry for everything. For being a bitch, for leaving you in L.A.," she looked to Andrea. "For calling you an asshole and shit," she then looked to Ethan.

"Why did you do it?" Andrea questioned. That was all she could say. She was frowning, dissatisfied with Veronica's apology. Perhaps it was just her stubbornness, but she wanted to wait for Veronica to explain herself.

"Do what? Act like I did?"

Andrea nodded.

"Part of me was just being a protective older sister. You have to understand that, Andy."

Andrea froze. It felt like years since Veronica called her Andy, though it had only been days. All Veronica and Andrea had been doing for those past few days was fighting, and so using full names was only appropriate during that time. Admittedly, Andrea missed the nickname. She considered Veronica her best friend, aside from Maisie, who wasn't even allowed to call Andrea 'Andy'.

"Another part of me was jealous. Like crazy, you don't even know. How would you feel if I started getting close with someone like. . . him." Veronica motioned to Ethan who, unsurprisingly, was growing red in the face. "You're successful, famous, hot, how could I not be jealous?"

"So, you're telling me you were just acting petty because of jealousy. Veronica, that is the most childish thing I've ever heard. I can't believe you."

"I know, I know how it sounds, but you have to believe me when I say that I realised–" Veronica paused, sighing. She glanced at Ethan for a moment, before seemingly coming to a decision. "Ethan, would you mind giving Andrea and I some privacy?"

"No," Andrea objected, grabbing the boy's arm before he could stand up to leave. "Whatever you have to say to me, you can say to Ethan."

"No, Andrea, this is important," Veronica insisted.

"Andrea, it's fine, I'll go," Ethan said, standing up and shooting the girl a small, reassuring smile, before leaving the café.

Veronica sighed again. "I was saying that I realised something. I don't think there's anyone better for you than Ethan."

Andrea froze again. She opened her mouth and closed it again, words failing to leave it.

"What?" Veronica asked.

"I–" Andrea let out a breath. "It's just. . . there's a weird situation going on between Ethan, Grayson and I."

"What situation?"

"I kind of have feelings for both of them, so that's why I don't want to be with either of them. I feel like I won't be happy."

"Damn," Veronica mumbled, leaning back in her seat. She thought about what to say for a moment. Everything in her mind was muddled up– her sister's situation was a lot more complication than she thought. "All I can say is. . . whatever's meant to happen, will. If you're meant to be with one of them, you'll be with one of them. If not, you'll move on. If I were you, though, I'd think about everything they've both done for you. No matter who you end up with, though, I'll support you, but I'll beat them up if they hurt you, got it?"

"Yeah," Andrea agreed, chuckling. "Thanks, Ronnie."

Veronica smiled. Her eyes lit up at her own nickname, which she missed like Hell, too.

"So. . . do you forgive me?"

"I forgive you. As long as you don't pull any stupid shit like that again."

The two sisters stood up and engulfed each other in tight, warm hugs.

"I'd be an idiot to do that," Veronica replied into Andrea's dark hair. She pulled away, cupping her little sister's fresh, bare face. "Let's go get poor Ethan. I don't even know if he'll forgive me, and our food should be here soon," Veronica said, laughing along with Andrea as they made their way to the exit of the café.

[ i'm sorry the last few chapters have been so boring, and i haven't been putting that much effort into them. i'm just excited to write the next few scenes so i'm trying to get to them as soon as possible. ]