TWENTY FOUR

E X P O S E D
C H A P T E R  T W E N T Y  F O U R

IT was Friday evening. Ethan was driving to a secret location. He wanted the date to be perfect, and so no matter how many times Andrea had begged for him to tell her where they were headed, he resisted, despite struggling while doing so. Andrea was rather irresistible.

Ethan's sweaty hands squeezed the steering wheel of Andrea's car tight. She noticed his white knuckles.

"E, are you sure you won't crash my car?" Andrea chuckled. "Why are you so nervous?"

Ethan sighed. "I just want this to go well."

"It will, E. I don't know what you have planned, but you know you could take me to a dump yard and I'd be happy."

Laughter filled the car. Ethan felt himself relax a little, knowing Andrea would be happy no matter what, although there was still a small part of him that had a feeling something would go wrong. Perhaps that was just his tendency to overthink everything.

Andrea decided to turn on the radio. She screamed out the lyrics to whatever song came on, and Ethan didn't hesitate in joining her. It was 2U by Justin Bieber, a song that had been constantly playing back in L.A. It reminded Andrea of her first date with Ethan, when they drove up to Hollywood and sang their hearts out until they reached the hill.

For that reason, Ethan's nerves had completely vanished. Nothing else mattered other than being with Andrea and singing the song they knew every word to at the top of their lungs.

It didn't last long enough though. Before they knew it, Ethan had pulled into the parking lot of a restaurant named Al Fresco, a restaurant that was an hour from where Andrea lived so that she wouldn't suspect where they were en route to.

"We're here," he announced. He turned the car off.

"Wait, Al Fresco? I used to come here all the time when I was a little kid, Ethan, how did you know?"

Ethan shrugged coolly, a secretive smirk at his lips. Andrea wanted to hit him for being so smug, but she was too overwhelmed by the urge to get inside and eat, and also the fact that he had somehow figured out her favourite childhood restaurant.

"Let's go," Ethan said, climbing out of the car. He had planned to run over to Andrea's side and help her out, but she didn't realise this and stepped out by herself anyway. Brushing off his awkwardness, Ethan extended his hand towards her. She laced her fingers with his, her cheeks turning red, and allowed him to lead her to the restaurant's entrance.

The restaurant was an outdoor area— its name even meant 'in the open air'. It was fancy and modern, yet casual at the same time. Adults, teenagers, couples and families all dined away, laughing and clinking their drinks.

Ethan was greeted by a waiter, who was short and wore a friendly smile on his face and a quirky bowtie around his neck.

"Good evening. Have you guys got a reservation?"

"Yeah," Ethan smiled back. "For Dolan."

The man took a moment to search for Ethan's name. When he found it, he beckoned them to follow him towards a table.

"Thank you," Ethan and Andrea both said as they took their seats. The waiter then left them to choose their meals.

Andrea was much too distracted to even notice the menu, however. She was gazing about the restaurant and at its fairy lights and candles and comforting decorations.

"You okay?" Ethan chuckled, noticing her astonishment.

"Yeah," Andrea breathed. "This is just so perfect. I've missed this place."