EIGHT

E X P O S E D
C H A P T E R E I G H T

"ETHAN, can we talk?"

Ethan had looked up from his plate of breakfast, concern in his whiskey-coloured eyes. He nodded and followed the girl back to his bedroom, where she sat on his bed and crossed her legs.

"Everything alright?"

His heart was racing. Her blank face told him nothing, which was why he couldn't help but assume the worst. The last thing he wanted was to hear bad news, especially from Andrea.

"Everything's fine. My mom called. Veronica went back to San Francisco after our fight," Andrea announced, gazing down at the black floorboards and sighing.

Ethan furrowed his eyebrows. "When?"

"This morning I guess, probably whatever was the next flight after I left. I wanna go back, too, but I also wanna stay in L.A. for a few days."

"You're meant to be here for four more, right?"

Andrea nodded. "There are so many more things I want to do, but. . . My gut is telling me to go back home," Andrea explained, twiddling with her thumbs.

Ethan sat beside her cautiously, his mind swirling with thoughts. He didn't want to be selfish and tell her she should stay, but as much as he knew Andrea valued her family, he didn't want her to leave either.

"Then. . . stay here for two more days. One, even. I don't wanna lose you yet, Andrea," he said, taking her into his arms again, where her tiny frame fit so perfectly.

"I don't wanna lose you either," Andrea admitted, relishing in the warmth from the boy's body, a warmth that constantly made her feel like she was safe. After a long silence of thought, an idea came to Andrea's mind.

"Why don't you come to San Fran with me?"

At first, Ethan was hesitant. He was taken aback, really. The idea was ridiculous, and he wasn't sure whether he wanted to meet Andrea's family just yet. They weren't that serious; in fact, they weren't even non-serious– they weren't a thing at all.

Then Ethan thought about it a little harder. Unless Andrea decided to be kind and invite Grayson along, too, which was quite unlikely, it would be just Ethan and Andrea.

"What about your sister?" Ethan queried. That was the one thing that continued to stand in Ethan'd way of saying yes. Veronica still hated him. She always would, by the looks of it.

"We can sit down with her and sort everything out. I promise she won't get in the way. My mom's on my side, too, so it's all good," Andrea assured, taking Ethan's large hands in hers and fiddling with his long, slender fingers.

"What do you mean she's on your side?"

"I told her about you. She thinks you're charming," Andrea smiled.

"Really? She doesn't believe Veronica?"

"Nope," Andrea shook her head.

"Well then. . . I'm in. I'll go to San Fran with you. When do we leave?"

Andrea squealed with excitement, her arms tightening around Ethan's torso. She was beyond excited to go home with him, and the boy laughed, hugging back tighter. She thought about answering his question for a moment. Perhaps it wouldn't be too bad if she stayed for the rest of what was supposed to be her trip. She wouldn't have to waste money on new plane tickets, either.

"I'll stay for the four days," she announced.

"Sounds great. How about we make your last four days worth it, then?" Ethan suggested after he remembered somewhere he wanted to take her.

"Let's make 'em worth it," Andrea chuckled in response. She suddenly became curious. Where Ethan was going to take her she couldn't imagine, but knowing him, it was going to be good.