TྉHྉEྉPྉLྉAྉNྉ

Today's song...I Write Sins Not Tragedies- Panic! at the Disco

School has finally started again.

I bite my lip nervously in Transfiguration class because I didn't do my Christmas assignment that was given by Professor Dumbledore.

As he walks past my desk, I shrink nervously in my seat and hope to disappear. Professor Dumbledore's eyes twinkle knowingly and just says, "Please stay after class, Miss Black."

"Yes, sir," I answer, pouting and crossing my arms.

After class, I trudge up the steps that lead to Professor Dumbledore's office.

"I can explain, Sir," I say as soon as I take a seat in front of him.

He waves a hand, cutting me off, "Oh, I already gave you an O for that assignment. I'm well aware that you know how to properly perform a bird-conjuring charm."

"Oh," I say, "Then why am I here?"

"You are friends with Tom Riddle, correct?"

"Yes, Sir, I am."

"If I ask you to answer honestly, would you do it?"

"Of course, sir."

In all the years I've known him, Professor Dumbledore has never been this strange. He always offers me some sort of Muggle candy and tea and inquires on how my classes are going.

"Have you noticed differences in Tom's behaviour?"

"Um, yes...he doesn't seem to get much sleep." True.

"Does he ever mention his family?"

"Yes, on occasion." Mostly true.

"Does he seem... almost obsessed?"

I hesitate. The answer, without a doubt, is yes. But I'm not sure how Dumbledore will react. Will he send Tom straight to Azkaban? Will he chain him up in a room and burn it to the ground?

"It's okay," he says, breaking into my thoughts, "I won't do anything to him. I simply ask that you watch over him."

"What do you mean, Professor?"

Dumbledore smiles a bit sadly, "I've seen his future, and it's not very nice. He needs to love and be loved, and I think you can help him."

"Help him...not become a cold, heartless murderer or something?"

"Yes. That exactly. What makes you say that?"

"Intuition."

After our lovely chat, Dumbledore offered me some Muggle candy called 'lemon drops' that he was quite fond of. We talked about classes and my career choices for hours.

"...an Unspeakable?"

"Yes, Sir. It's a strange thing, I know, but I've always wanted to uncover the secrets of love, death, time, thought, space, and even life itself."

"It is not strange at all my dear. In fact, it is a very noble thing that you wish to do. Most men are too frightened to even set foot into the Department of Mysteries. There are dangerous things you have to work with, though. You practically have to be an expert in nearly every area of magic. Love is probably the trickiest one of them all, seeing as how dangerous it is. I have no doubt in my mind that you'll make it, but be careful, the Department of Mysteries is not a very forgiving place."

•••

As I open the door to leave, Dumbledore's hand stops me.

I think he noticed my strange behaviour when we were talking about Tom because he says quietly, "Is there anything you wish to tell me?"