Book 9⌇1. Edge of the Forest

Chapter 1 Edge of the Forest

-Mavis 5 Years Old

"Cake!" I squealed with excitement as my grandma placed down the pink frosting two-layer cake on the table in front of me. The five candles lit were in the center, the message of Happy 5th Birthday Mavis, was written above the swirly pink and purple candlesticks.

I got up on my knees in my chair, leaning on both my hands as I let the light of the flames dance before my eyes. My daddy sat next to me, his arm wrapped around my back as he chuckled, "Make a wish baby girl."

"I wish-"

"You're not supposed to say it out loud," Zak laughed while taking a seat at the table in the kitchen. Everyone was here, looking up to see so many faces watching me with anticipation. He nodded and finished, "It might not come true."

I thought about it for a moment, staring at the candles as the flames flickered back and forth.

What to wish for...hmmm...?

I wish that one day I'll find someone as nice as my daddy to take care of me.

I inhaled a big breath and blew out the candles all in one go. Everyone clapped once I'd blown them out, my daddy saying, "I hope you made a good wish."

I turned to grin at him and nodded back, "I think I did."

"Did you wish for..." my grandpa asked while bringing forth a present from behind his back, "a new dress?"

My daddy laughed while I scowled at my grandpa, sticking my tongue out while I replied, "Of course not! That's silly!"

"Well good," he chuckled back while coming to stand around behind my chair. He placed the present down in front of me, my grandma had taken the cake away to cut it, "Because it isn't a dress."

My eyes widened and I excitedly sat back in the chair as I grabbed the present in my hands. I put it up to my ear and shook it for a second before asking, "What did you get me?"

When I looked up, my grandpa's eyes danced with amusement as he responded, "Open it and find out."

"Okay, okay!" I bubbled with excitement as I began to tear the paper away from the box. After opening the box, I couldn't contain how I felt when I squealed again, taking the wooden handle of the slingshot into my hand. I stood up on my chair and turned around, throwing my arms around my grandpa, and saying, "Thank you, thank you, thank you!"

"Dad..." my daddy's voice had a different tone to it.

My grandpa shrugged his shoulders after hugging me back and asked, "What? It's harmless."

"Says the many squirrels in the trees," my aunt giggled as she put a hand up to cover her mouth. My uncle lightly elbowed her, and she couldn't stop herself from laughing harder.

My daddy let out a heavy sigh before he said, "Fine."

"Oh, if you don't like that gift Maverick," Arlynn laughed while taking a present from behind her back, "you're certainly not going to like mine."

"Yay!" I yelled and bounced back down into my chair. I tested the strap on the slingshot and thought of all the fun I was going to have when I had some time to play in the backyard.

Arlynn smiled at me as she placed the large flat gift down on the table. Placing the slingshot down on the table and undoing the bow, I tore away the brightly colored paper. When I saw it was a white flat clothes box, I looked up at her and asked, "Is it a dress?"

Everyone burst out laughing, holding their sides. My daddy also chuckled before lightly taping my upper back and said, "Even if it is, you'll say thank you like a good little girl. If you don't, I'll make you wear the dress the remained of the day."