Book 9⌇8. You're Not The Boss of Me

Chapter 8 You're Not The Boss of Me

-Mavis 12 Years Old

That one word caused everyone to break out into a frenzy. My dad ordered everyone, "Leave us."

In a matter of seconds, everyone left the parlor, the doors closing shut behind them while the puncture marks on my neck already began to close. My heart beats fast as my dad approached me before narrowing his eyes, "How did you come to be in contact with an incubus?"

"What's an incubus?" I asked with confusion.

He saw the sincerity in my features, knowing I had absolutely no idea what he was talking about and that he'd have to backtrack if he were to understand anything. My dad breathed out carefully, "Demon. An incubus is a demon that..." his voice trailed off for a moment, recollecting his thoughts before he finished with, "...steals the life energy from its victims."

"He's never done that," I muttered beneath my breath and said, "he'd never hurt me."

My dad trapped me again with his hands grasping the armrests as he growled, "Mavis...these creatures are dangerous. They are self-centered, caring only for themselves and will seduc-" he cut himself off, taking a deep breath before recomposing himself, "Mavis...they are evil creatures that prey on the innocence of this world. They'd sooner see that destroyed...whatever this creature has told you is a lie."

"He just wants to be my friend," my voice was small when it did come out, it was uneven and filled with fear. The fear that my dad might just very well be right made me frightened.

How did he know what Scáth was?

How did Arlynn know?

Has he run into them before? We're they really as evil as he said they are?

I didn't say anything, waiting in silence as my dad continued with, "No Mavis...he doesn't want to be your friend...he wants something...else," he sighed and released the grip he had on the armrests and rose to stand tall, "he wants to hurt you although you can't see it now, that's his true end goal."

Would Scáth really hurt me? I've known him for years and I'm sure that if he wanted to, he would have already.

"You're lying!" I yelled back, angry at the way he was accusing someone he didn't even know of these terrible things.

My dad lowered his voice, trying to keep control of his temper as he stated, "You're too young Mavis, to understand the dangers in this world that are not like any other you've come across. Werewolves, rogue vampires...they're just scratching the surface. Beyond this world, there are darker evils that consume everything in their path."

"Bu-But how do you know?" I asked him, my voice quivering as my dad's features altered slightly. A lighter look crossed his face while a sigh escaped his lips. His hands lifted from the armrests, standing up straight and backing away a few steps from me. My dad motioned for me to stand as well, my legs peeling away from being held against my chest and slowly touching the marble floor.

"All I want to do in this world is to protect you," my dad wrapped his arms around me, holding me tightly against his chest. He pulled away slightly and I gazed up to look in his eyes as he told me, "You just have to trust me."

I breathed out slowly, "He's my friend though and I don't want to stop being his friend either."

"God damn it, Mavis!" My dad yelled and released me completely. Without another word, he turned away from me and headed in the direction of the parlor doors, slamming them open while I attempted to slowly follow behind him.