Book 9⌇13. You'll Always Be My Little Girl

Chapter 13 You'll Always Be My Little Girl

-Mavis 16 Years Old

When I woke up, it was painful, trying to pry my eyelids open. It was the most effort I had ever had to give while trying to wake. I groaned, my eyelids still shut as I rolled over on my side, taking the covers with me as I exhaled a breath, I'd been holding in that I hadn't even realized.

In the background, I could faintly hear Arlynn whisper, "She's waking up, can you go get Maverick?"

It was Zak who responded quietly, "Yeah, no problem."

As I still attempted to wake, pressing my eyelids down hard together before I slowly began to blink them open. My throat was dry, and it felt like I'd been hit by a train going two hundred kilometers an hour in the wrong lane. It was Arlynn's voice again that reassured me, "Hey," she helped grasp under my arm as I tried to slowly sit up on my side, "take it easy."

I shook my head, confused and in a daze as I glanced around and found myself in my room. The curtains were pulled shut, the sun glowing around the edges of its barrier. When I finally landed my gaze on Arlynn, she sat on the edge of the bed, an exceedingly small smile on her face. I grimaced in slight pain when I wheezed out, "Wh-What...w-wher-re?"

I couldn't even form a fully functioning sentence. I shook my head when she cooed, "Shh, it'll be alright. You just need some time to adjust," she paused a moment and squeezed my hand, "your father will be here soon."

I did something wrong, didn't I?

As I began to gather my bearings, drinking a glass of water that Arlynn had been so kind enough to provide, I heard a knock at the door. Arlynn called, "She's alright, come in."

I'm dead...he's going to kill me...

My father opened the door, Zak waiting in the hallway while Arlynn took the empty glass from me and exited the room without another word. My father shut the door silently behind him, striding toward my bed where he stopped at the edge of it. He paused a moment and asked in a very calm voice, "May I sit?"

Nodding, he lowered himself onto the edge of my bed, his eyes lifting and meeting with mine. Very quickly, everything began to flood back from the night with Scáth and a very saddened look crossed my face. Averting my eyes, they fell to stare at my lap, tears gathering at the brim of my lower lids.

"Mavis," my father was stern, but I could hear the sincerity in his voice, attempting to not startle me further, "honey...we need to talk about what happened..." his voice trailed off, almost dreading himself what he was about to say, but it finally came out, "...between Scáth and you."

My voice was watery as I whispered out, "I'm sorry, I'm really, really sorry."

I didn't want the tears to fall, but it was becoming harder to keep them back as the stinging at the bridge of my nose hurt more by every passing second.

"Honey, I know you're sorry and I'm not mad at you," my father continued very calmly, not daring to lift my eyes just yet, but he continued, "do you remember what happened last night?"

I shook my head from side to side, remembering bits and pieces, but I didn't want to talk about how I felt. My father breathed out carefully and informed me, "Scáth told me everything that happened when he brought you home last night...I was in a panic that you were unconscious and feared something bad had happened to you."

Remaining silent, I let him continue, "There is a reason why I was very uneasy about the two of you becoming friends...but growing closer, I figured this would happen at some point in time...but this is probably the only time I'll ever say this but...I'm glad this happened with him and not any other incubus."